Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous Channel Viewing

Has anyone had any luck displaying two Riku channels at the same time?

For example, I would love to be able to display the CNBC Channel on one section of the screen and something like the DeviantArt Channel on the other section of the screen. I was thinking to split up the screen with one channel on the top right and another on the bottom left.

Anybody try this yet? Is it even possible?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Simultaneous Channel Viewing

With two rokus and two tv's it works great. Roku only allows running one channel at a time. However, if you were to create your own channel application, it still wouldn't work because the roku can't use an audio player at the same time as any video player, and can't have two video players running at the same time either. I suppose if you could find a games channel that used roimagecanvas or roscreen set to display the game on a half-width display, and then had a custom video player on the left side of the screen streaming a video that would work. It doesn't sound like much fun to watch or play or code either - and then there is the issue of the button press events on the remote being picked up by both programs - how would you decide the button press belonged to the video, or to the game?
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response.

My intention is to show a slide show (like deviantart) on one portion of the screen that does not have any audio or accept any button presses. The other section of the screen will be devoted to a news channel, which will accept button presses and have volume if necessary. Ideally it will also be closed captioned as well.

I'm looking for any and all suggestions. Also probably looking to hire somebody to create this for me, if I can figure out its possible.
0 Kudos
tensen
Visitor

I would be interested to see if anyone was able to do this.
As far as I know there can't be two video screens open, so someone would have to figure out a way to work around this.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"abdpromotions" wrote:
My intention is to show a slide show (like deviantart) on one portion of the screen that does not have any audio or accept any button presses. The other section of the screen will be devoted to a news channel, which will accept button presses and have volume if necessary.

Multiple video sources at once is not possible.

Playing windowed video and displaying static images on the same screen can be done. You'd have to build the UI from scratch using roScreen and roVideoPlayer.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

RokuChris is correct - the CustomVideoPlayer sample app in the SDK shows how to play video in a window with a static background.
0 Kudos

Still curious on this one. Could the video window play over a background image that changes every 10 seconds?

If anybody has anyway to accomplish this please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Video will always be the bottom layer with other stuff appearing in front. If you take a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51332

I've posted an example with a video window floating around other crazy stuff on screen.

- Joel
0 Kudos
RIDGELINETV
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Video will always be the bottom layer with other stuff appearing in front. If you take a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51332

I've posted an example with a video window floating around other crazy stuff on screen.

- Joel

Interesting example. So you can write PNGs on screen along with video... Can you define what graphic file to write from an XML file?? For example, if you wanted to show weather forecast icons, with those icons defined in a dynamically-updating XML file...

Thanks for any insight.
Ridgeline TV
0 Kudos
RIDGELINETV
Visitor

"RokuChris" wrote:
"abdpromotions" wrote:
My intention is to show a slide show (like deviantart) on one portion of the screen that does not have any audio or accept any button presses. The other section of the screen will be devoted to a news channel, which will accept button presses and have volume if necessary.

Multiple video sources at once is not possible.

Playing windowed video and displaying static images on the same screen can be done. You'd have to build the UI from scratch using roScreen and roVideoPlayer.

Are you saying that you can have a video window and a window (or area) where a slide show can be displayed all at once?

Thanks,
Ridgeline TV
0 Kudos