Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coopdaddyswag
Binge Watcher

Simplest way to create a settings interface for Screensaver?

I have a screensaver that I am looking to add a settings page for some configurable variables. As it does not need to be too fancy, what is the most barebones implementation structure that would work? I really want to build the settings interface to look like it uses the existing menu structure that Roku's Settings page. However, it is unclear to me whether that its possible. A lot of examples or uses of the screensaver settings page all seem to use a custom scene page and do some heavy lifting just to create  an interface to change a couple values.

Could someone guide me in the right direction?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Simplest way to create a settings interface for Screensaver?

You make a function in Main() called RunScreensaverSettings().  That function shows a screen, with buttons to write values to the registry and whatever else you need. That's all that is required.  It will appear in the Roku menus at screensavers/yourscreensaver/custom settings. It's a shame Roku never made it possible to use the current theme as a background. Without that, it's going to look different from the OS no matter what, so don't worry about that.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
coopdaddyswag
Binge Watcher

"squirreltown" wrote:
You make a function in Main() called RunScreensaverSettings().  That function shows a screen, with buttons to write values to the registry and whatever else you need. That's all that is required.  It will appear in the Roku menus at screensavers/yourscreensaver/custom settings. It's a shame Roku never made it possible to use the current theme as a background. Without that, it's going to look different from the OS no matter what, so don't worry about that.

Thanks. Yeah it is unfortunate that there is no SDK for a quick settings screen for the basic stuff. For me to display a couple changeable values seems like there is a lot of overhead.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Yes, if you want it pre-built for you you are unlikely to find that. But what you need is very simple. Most of the SceneGraph samples I've seen have a registry function going in them. Find something and remove the parts you don't want. Amazingly, even the Roku docs probably have enough info to do this from scratch. If you are going to continue, it's worth learning, but nothing about Roku is easy. You need to be motivated/willing to look for an answer.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
coopdaddyswag
Binge Watcher

Oh yes, definitely. I've been having a great time learning this environment, however the research involved to learn it has been so frustrating. I am almost done implementing my screensaver, so I am quite excited!
0 Kudos