Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mckayj
Visitor

Simple BrightScript Editor and Compiling question

Hello there,

I am extremely new to brightscript development, and at the moment would just like to modify some of the Roku example programs with my own video links, and then re-compile to upload to my private roku channel.

1. I can't seem to figure out how to open the brightscript editor. I am on Mac OSX, but also have win 7. What is the easiest way to edit the sample .brs files?

2. Once I edit these files, how do I recompile them into the .zip which can be imported into my private channel.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

jay
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Simple BrightScript Editor and Compiling question

"mckayj" wrote:
1. I can't seem to figure out how to open the brightscript editor. I am on Mac OSX, but also have win 7. What is the easiest way to edit the sample .brs files?

Any text editor will work. On OS X, I use TextWrangler from http://barebones.com/

"mckayj" wrote:
2. Once I edit these files, how do I recompile them into the .zip which can be imported into my private channel.

BrightScript is an interpreted language. There is no compiling. You can use any zip utility to package your channel. Take a look at Section 7 of the Developer Guide and the Channel Packaging and Publishing document in the SDK. There are also sample makefiles in the SDK that are helpful.
0 Kudos
mckayj
Visitor

Thanks for the help. Textwrangler worked great.

However when I use OSX to compress the "simple video player" folder after I make the changes, and upload it using the development application installer, it says uploaded successfully, but does not show up on my channel list. When I upload the already compiled zip files that came in the SDK, they open fine. Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks so much

Jay
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If there's a syntax error in your code, the channel will not show up. Telnet to port 8085 and you should see the error.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mckayj
Visitor

Thanks JT

Here is the error I received, but there is a /source folder in the zip.

An error occurred while attempting to compile the application:

------->Script directory "/source" does not exist in zip archive.

=================================================================
An error occurred while attempting to compile the application:

------->Script directory "/source" does not exist in zip archive.
------ Running ------
unexpected error getting five_photos.
------ Running ------
showSpringboardScreen
Button pressed: 2 0
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Be sure you are zipping up the contents of the folder and not the folder itself. Your package structure should be myChannel.zip/source/, not myChannel.zip/myChannel/source/
0 Kudos
mckayj
Visitor

That was it, Thanks so much!

Jay
0 Kudos