Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing Ad Pod Markers

Hi Everyone,

Could some one help me figure out on how to display ad markers. For example like a dot in the video player progress bar like how youtube display a green or red dot so that users know when a ad break will appear in the video playback.

And also was wondering if we can display a overlay on the roVideoscreen

Any help on the above question would be helpful.

thanks in advance

Prajwal
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Showing Ad Pod Markers

Neither of these is possible with roVideoScreen. You can create a custom video player with roVideoPlayer and roScreen/roImageCanvas which would let you draw any kind of overlays you want, but you'd also have to implement the trick play functionality yourself (fast forward, rewind, etc.).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry one more question is there any way we can show the ad markers in progress bar?

Prajwal
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"prajwalshetty" wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry one more question is there any way we can show the ad markers in progress bar?

Prajwal

Not with the roVideoScreen. As I mentioned above, the only way to do that would be to write a custom video player.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
vjani
Visitor

Just have the same question but for Scenegraph Video node. Is this possible with the default UI for the Video node? Even without setting any such information, by default there are couple of dots visible on the progress bar, which I don't understand. What do they indicate?
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

The dots mean nothing. It would be fascinating to hear an explanation from Roku why they decided to add meaningless dots in an area that, according years of convention, is reserved for chapter markers.
While it is possible to add your own shapes on top of the built-in controls by creating a new layer, it is almost impossible (I quit trying) to figure out the dimensions of the scrubber.

In other words, build your own custom controls.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"vjani" wrote:
Just have the same question but for Scenegraph Video node. Is this possible with the default UI for the Video node?

There may be an unpublished API that allows that and we may be interested in sharing that with developers.
Contact us direct for more. (Side-eye @ tim_beynart)

Even without setting any such information, by default there are couple of dots visible on the progress bar, which I don't understand. What do they indicate?

These are quartiles (i.e. 25%, 50%, 75%).
0 Kudos