Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saravenkat
Visitor

Setting up initial buffer for HLS Stream

I can see that generally the content meta data "StreamBitrates" is usually set to 0 for hls for adaptive bitrate switching. but is there any way I can actually set through brightscript an initial buffer of say, 10 seconds before the video starts playing for a HLS stream?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Setting up initial buffer for HLS Stream

There is no way for you to specify the buffer time. However, if you know what the highest bitrate in your HLS variant list is, you could set it to that. This is currently required as a workaround for a Roku bug if the highest bitrate is less than 1.5 Mbps.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
saravenkat
Visitor

Sorry for asking this elementary question, but how will one know the max bitrate in the HLS list of streams?
0 Kudos
destruk
Streaming Star

I use mediainfo to figure out what the bitrate of a video is. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
In their sample picture the bitrate is 1852. Most video encoders (if you encode it yourself) allow you to specify what bitrate the finished file should be.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.