Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gil_Dawson
Channel Surfer

Setting backgroundColor transparent in Sideloaded Captions

Hi--

I am making a private channel in which movies are captioned via a sideloaded SMPTE-TT file like this. I have found by experiments with my Roku channel that I can vary the captions' text color by changing a parameter (tts:color="red", or whatever) in the two places it occurs in the file's preamble.

I would like to make the captions' background color transparent. I have tried adding tts:backgroundColor="transparent" [ and also tts:backgroundColor="off" and tts:backgroundColor="rgba(0,0,0,0)"] in two places in the preamble. I have also tried adding these text strings as a style override to a span inside one caption line. None has worked: the captions' background color remains black with an opacity of [it looks like maybe about] 80%.

In Roku's Home > Settings > Captions, I have Mode = On and all other parameters set to default. If I set Background Opacity to Off, then I get what I want. My problem is that I would like to control that feature from the sideloaded captions file, if the viewer will permit.

Below I have put the preamble for the file in case it will prompt a suggestion.

Any ideas?

--Gil

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<tt xml:lang="en">
<head>
<styling>
<style xml:id="basic"
tts:color="yellow"
tts:backgroundColor="transparent"
tts:fontFamily="Arial"
tts:fontSize="0.9c"
/>
</styling>
<layout>
<region xml:id="centerleft"
tts:textAlign="left"
tts:displayAlign="after"
tts:origin="50%"
tts:padding="0 0 1c 0"
/>
</layout>
</head>
<body>
<div>
<p style="basic"
begin="00:00:00.00"
end="00:00:00.50"
>
I Know What I Saw
</p>

[...snip...(about 5000 lines)...]

<p style="basic"
begin="01:31:53.72"
end="02:33:12.32"
>
</p>
</div>
</body>
</tt>
--Gil
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Gil_Dawson
Channel Surfer

Re: Setting backgroundColor transparent in Sideloaded Captio

My apology for breaking the link to the full text of my sideloaded SMPTE-TT file after posting the question. If you tried to look at it and got a 404, my apology. It's fixed now.

--Gil
--Gil
0 Kudos