Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe0855
Reel Rookie

Select "subchannels" within Spectrum channel using Roku ECP

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I am creating a web GUI that will allow me to control multiple devices at home including my Roku Ultra.

Using the Roku ECP (see below):

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/debugging/external-control-api.md

Is there a way to select a subchannel within a Roku channel? For example, we stream TV using the Spectrum channel. Once inside the Spectrum channel, is there a command(s) to select the ESPN channel vs say, Disney (etc)? The is to create a number keypad to "dial-in" a specfic channel rather than using the directional keypad to scroll up/down subchannels. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
necrotek
Roku Guru

Re: Select "subchannels" within Spectrum channel using Roku ECP

Jump to solution

You would likely need to add deep linking parameters to your ECP call. I don't know if those would be made available by spectrum.  You could try contacting spectrum to see if they would provide the linking parameters.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
necrotek
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You would likely need to add deep linking parameters to your ECP call. I don't know if those would be made available by spectrum.  You could try contacting spectrum to see if they would provide the linking parameters.

Sci7

Jump to solution

Did you ever get a solution to this?

0 Kudos
joe0855
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Not really. But I never contacted Spectrum to see if they had a deep link API for their channel.

0 Kudos
gomad
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

may be you could program one of the remote keys (A,B) to launch the channel then invoke the key using ECP?

ps: this will work on newer roku devices only

0 Kudos
John314
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We both may be seeking to accomplish something similar - I'm looking to launch specific tv channels within the Sling app.  It seems that if you know the contentID for the "subchannel" then should be able to use a REST call to bring up that specific channel.

I haven't been able to test this because it's not clear how to get the contentID. The Deep Link Testers provided require that you know the ContentID that you're wanting to link to.

You may have better luck with Spectrum since it seems that some cable channels allow you to bring a subchannel to the main menu when you use a code and provide your cable provider.

0 Kudos