Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skywalker9
Visitor

Seeking clarity on fonts

I'm new to developing for roku and was wondering, what is the default font for roku apps nowadays? Is there a specific set of system font I can use without having to load or embed them on my end?

I saw gotham listed somewhere but I've been unable to find any specific documentation on fonts.  Any help is much appreciated.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Seeking clarity on fonts

I'm not sure what you're really asking here, but there's nothing special you need to do to use the default Roku fonts. They're automatically included in the Roku OS and used by your channel unless you choose to include your own font files.
0 Kudos
skywalker9
Visitor

@belltown thanks for the reply. To clarify, I was wondering what those default system fonts are.  Is it gotham? Helvetica?  Is there a list of the roku system fonts somewhere?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

I haven't seen an official list published anywhere, but in a Scene Graph channel observed using the debugger, I see the following system file referenced:

/Netflix/Fonts/common/Gotham-Book.otf

You may draw your own conclusions from that.

[Note: I'm guessing that "/Netflix" is just the name of a Roku OS system directory, nothing to do with Netflix in particular, except maybe historical reasons]
0 Kudos