Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Screensavers don't work when using roScreen

In any channel I implement an roScreen in, the box goes to a black screen instead of the configured screensaver when idle. Is there a workaround for this, or is this expected behavior?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: Screensavers don't work when using roScreen

I noticed this myself and asked Roku about it:

There are currently limitations on using screensavers in conjunction with roScreen apps. Please see the v3.0 docs for more details.

except I can't find anything about "screen savers" or "screensavers" when text searching all the Roku docs.
My assumption is they are referring to the first paragraph of the RoScreen section of the Brightscript manual, which still doesn't answer the question, or there is some unreleased doc that they are looking at that we don't have access to.

Next, I'm going to try seeing if I can write to a different Z plane and see if anything shows up.

I've also seen this issue on Roku2 with Netflix or the Channel Store open - seems to not occur (last time I checked, anyway) on the original series with 3.0. Also some weird but cool fx where the underlying grid screen peeks through occasionally...

EDIT: I see your post was about the opposite: an roScreen app instead of a screensaver. Well, anyway, still, the issue is more or less the same...

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

This is expected behavior. Because of the limited graphics memory, we don't launch a custom screen saver when the current channel is using an roScreen. The blank screen screensaver is automatically launched instead.

--Kevin.
0 Kudos
merthin
Visitor

Is this still true for all the Roku devices when using roScreen?
0 Kudos