Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
24i
Streaming Star

SceneGraph - Bug with BusySpinner and ProgressDialog on FHD setting

Hello,

We are having an issue with the BusySpinner and Progress Dialog within our applications on certain devices.
The spinners are displaying some strange scaling/translating behaviour. This applies to both the BusySpinner and the default ProgressDialog. 

The problem occurs on the new Roku Express, but not on the Roku 4, Roku 3 or older Roku Streaming Stick (not 2016 version). All running on 7.5 Firmware.

We took this example: https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/BusySpinner?preview=/4260877/4261069/SimpleBusySpinner.zip 
and compared the differences. It turns out that this bug is caused by the "ui_resolutions" setting on the manifest when it's set to "fhd". 
On "hd" it works fine.

We have developed several apps on the "fhd" setting and we never had any problems until we tested it on the new Roku Express. 
This appears to be a bug within Roku itself and we would like the Roku Team to take a look at this. 

Below you will find some example gifs. 

Here we are using the BusySpinner

Here we are using the ProgressDialog without a background

Here we are using the ProgressDialog with the default settings
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Veeta
Visitor

Re: SceneGraph - Bug with BusySpinner and ProgressDialog on FHD setting

I've seen this behavior on the non-OpenGL devices as well. Our workaround was to turn off most animations on non-OpenGL devices.

One of the Roku sample channels show filtering on Roku models by those whose first digit is 3 or less (2310X, 3500X) but I currently have a whitelist of the supported low-spec devices to apply the shortcut to.

More recently there was a flag 'optional' added to Animations which may be used.

I would like to see this bug fixed in the software rendering rotations, though.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"24i" wrote:
We took this example: https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/BusySpinner?preview=/4260877/4261069/SimpleBusySpinner.zip 
and compared the differences. It turns out that this bug is caused by the "ui_resolutions" setting on the manifest when it's set to "fhd". 
On "hd" it works fine.

Well this is odd. How can you run example with ui_resolutions=fhd on Express, if FHD UI is only supported on 4k devices?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

The issue is not specifically with the BusySpinner, but rather with rotations in general when using the automatic scaling from FHD to HD.  Any use of rotation using the "fhd" UI resolution gets mangled when scaled down to HD.  The only workaround I've found is to either explicitly define an "hd" layout as well, or to use a custom sprite/frame-based animation.

"EnTerr" wrote:
Well this is odd. How can you run example with ui_resolutions=fhd on Express, if FHD UI is only supported on 4k devices?

fhd layouts automatically get scaled to hd on devices that don't support fhd, so you don't have to define multiple layouts.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
The issue is not specifically with the BusySpinner, but rather with rotations in general when using the automatic scaling from FHD to HD.  Any use of rotation using the "fhd" UI resolution gets mangled when scaled down to HD.  The only workaround I've found is to either explicitly define an "hd" layout as well, or to use a custom sprite/frame-based animation.

Where have you been, man? 8-) Do i need to say the forum is not the same without your omnipresence?

Seems an exact description of the issue is "Simultaneous rotation and scaling are problematic on DirectFB devices". Just like in the "fire triangle", to extinguish it remove 1 of the 3 elements:

• avoid rotations

• avoid auto-scaling (by manifesting `ui_resolutions=sd,hd,fhd` and 3x the work)

• avoid non-GLES devices (2450/2500, 27xx, 37xx, 5xxx - which is what, 1/4 of the market?)

"EnTerr" wrote:

fhd layouts automatically get scaled to hd on devices that don't support fhd, so you don't have to define multiple layouts.

<sigh> this is under-documented. I regularly forget auto-scaling was added last year - moreover TFM makes it sound as if it applies only to RSG apps, where it's true for SDK1 too. Full cartesian product of auto-scaling works, i imagine (3x3: FHD->SD, SD->FHD and so on)?
0 Kudos
24i
Streaming Star

Thanks for the replies!

It seems that the rotation issue is fixed with the 7.6 Firmware. At least for the Express it is. We are running the beta firmware on that one.
0 Kudos