Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bishop
Visitor

SDK Help Needed

Anyone have instructions or a link to a tutorial for how to get the Roku SDK setup in VS 2010? I have used VS for a while, but have never had occasion to add an SDK so this is new ground for me.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: SDK Help Needed

There's no integration with Visual Studio supported. However, viewing the .brs files as .vb files gives you pretty good syntax highlighting in VS.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
bishop
Visitor

Well, I suppose I should have asked what the best way to use the SDK is then. I can't get it to open, and I thought I saw somewhere that it would run in an IDE. When I double click the executable in the SDK folder I get a brief flash of a command window and then nothing.

I have tried this on my Win 7 (64 bit) and Macbook (Snow Leopard) machines with the same results.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

The sdk is distributed as a zip file. You need to unzip it first to view the contents.

Please start by going through this sticky thread:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=36014

--Kevin
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I use wordpad - which probably isn't the best way, but it works for me.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
I use wordpad - which probably isn't the best way, but it works for me.

I hope you at least use a fixed width font...

I use vi/vim, and the vbs highlighting seems to work well enough that it's useful. Personally, I think syntax highlighting is probably the single biggest enhancement that can be made over a plain vanilla text editor for writing source code.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I've been using Notepad++ (free) with vbs syntax highlighting and the function list plugin. Works great!

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
I've been using Notepad++ (free) with vbs syntax highlighting and the function list plugin. Works great!

-JT

I use Notepad++ with vbs syntax highlighting as well, but I didn't know about the Function List plugin. Nice one!
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

For anyone using a Mac, TextWrangler is my favorite. It does syntax coloring, function listing, and code folding just to name a few. It also balances symbols like () {} [] while you type, so if you hit a ) and it doesn't detect a matching ( it will alert you right away. That feature alone has saved me more than a few times.
0 Kudos
evilmax17
Visitor

"RokuChris" wrote:
For anyone using a Mac, TextWrangler is my favorite. It does syntax coloring, function listing, and code folding just to name a few. It also balances symbols like () {} [] while you type, so if you hit a ) and it doesn't detect a matching ( it will alert you right away. That feature alone has saved me more than a few times.

This is what I've been using, with Javascript highlighting.

Could you tell me more about function listing? Not seeing that, think I might have missed an option somewhere.

You wouldn't also happen to have any customized BrightScript plugins for TextWrangler would you?
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos