Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

[SDK Bug : 2.9/3.0 : Hard Crash : Reproducible] Eval()

I've discovered an issue with the Eval() function that causes a hard crash of the Roku box, and is easily reproducible...

On 2.9, if you pass a string that is over 32k in length (regardless of content) to the Eval() function, the box will crash and reboot. In 3.0, the limit is slightly larger (I want to say 48k), but produces the same results.

If you're experiencing "random" reboots, and you're using the Eval() function in your code, this may be the issue.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
goya
Visitor

Re: [SDK Bug : 2.9/3.0 : Hard Crash : Reproducible] Eval()

oh oh this may explain why my benchmarks are crashing

now i'm just doing simple eval() basically subroutine call very little string being passed in
but its crashing on roku 2 xs and not on roku xd...
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I've only experienced it specifically with the string lengths I mentioned above, but it's possible something could be different in the 4.x firmware that causes similar behavior.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
I've only experienced it specifically with the string lengths I mentioned above, but it's possible something could be different in the 4.x firmware that causes similar behavior.

thanks it looks like its not eval, member(s) traced it to something else...
0 Kudos