Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Rotate Center

You should note that rotating at arbitrary angles is only supported on the Roku 3, the streaming stick, and the old Roku 2 XD and XS. All other current generation models only support rotating in 90 degree increments.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

If you set it up as a sprite you could just have a single image divided up into a spritemap with frames of animation. Do you really need 1 degree per shift, for 360 frames of animation per round? What about 1/10 that many, 36 frames, one for every 10 degrees? Or will it spin VERY slowly?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
If you set it up as a sprite you...

Well, I try to avoid using the compositor if I can, its simpler this way, I prefer just writing to the screen. I'm only using a region because its the only way to get the pretranslation gizmo as NewManLiving pointed out. It takes about 5 seconds for each full rotation and its very smooth so no, I don't think i'd like to give up any frames.

Endless - thanks for the heads up, this project is a screensaver destined to be public, and it may end up being Roku3-exclusive anyway (more memory)
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
As usual you are right! I wasn't using regions, so once I did that the pretranslation became an option. Thank you.
this rotates the bitmap on it's center in the center of the screen.

Yeah, using roRegion is the right thing to do here.
I am glad i did not see this post earlier - or i would have been tempted to do the math for the upper-left corner. Which is ungrateful job, considering there is a better option (thank you for pre-translation, RokuCo!).
0 Kudos