Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idunno
Level 7

Roscreen Video Problem

I am just now becoming acquainted with the roScreen component and its interfaces. I am trying to make a channel where there is a video playing on the left side of the screen and a menu on the right side were you can select different feeds. However, I have a problem where after using the roscreen clear function to set the background color, the video appears behind the background, where it can be heard, but not seen. What can I do to fix this?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MSGreg
Level 7

Re: Roscreen Video Problem

Don't use Clear(), use DrawRect() and specify the coordinates avoiding the video section of the screen.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 9

You can definitely use Clear(). Just make sure you call SetAlphaEnable(True) on the screen, and that you're passing in a 0 alpha value on the color you're Clear()'ing with.

screen = CreateObject("roScreen", True)
' Enable alpha on the screen
screen.SetAlphaEnable(True)
' Clear the screen, so the video can be seen behind
screen.Clear(&H00000000) ' &H00000000 = 0 = fully transparent black
' Draw your other screen elements
screen.SwapBuffers()

Also, make sure you've called SetDestinationRect() on your roVideoPlayer object to specify where the video should be displayed.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Also, if you want a solid background with the Video appearing "on top" of the background, I would suggest, in Photoshop, create a transparent layer, past your solid background to a layer on top, cut out a hole the size of the video, and save as a transparent .PNG.

- Joel
0 Kudos