Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coolbits
Visitor

Roku memory / disk restrictions

Hi All,
I did some research but could not find a proper documentation or a forum post on the following things.

1. How much memory / disk space does the Roku box has (Let's imagine the least expensive box)

2. How to monitor how much such memory/ disk space is available for the app (on runtime)
Let's say an app loads images from an online source. My way of loading them is to either use roUrlTransfer object to download them to the disk and then create a roBitmap OR use the roTextureManager object. But I could not find a way to see how much memory is left for further load images. I faced a problem in my app. I.e. I loaded some images, but when I tried to run a video using roVideoPlayer (I must use the roVideoPlayer instead of roVideoScreen) but the video did not play when there are images loaded. But when I ran the roVideoPlayer without loading any image, it worked fine. Then I tried deleting the downloaded bitmaps in the drive as well as removing the created sprites. But it seemed it didn't help. I want to debug and see where I am going wrong. I know in the debug mode we can use the "bsc" to see the instances. Is there a better way?

3. How to manage memory
What are the best practices on developing fully customized Roku apps?

Thank you very much,
Chandana
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
theSmaw
Visitor

Re: Roku memory / disk restrictions

1/2)

3) Make sure to fully dispose (set to Invalid) everything that you no longer need. Better to new-up new instances of objects than keep them in memory.
0 Kudos
coolbits
Visitor

"theSmaw" wrote:
1/2)

telnet your.box.ip 8080
> r2d2_bitmaps

3) Make sure to fully dispose (set to Invalid) everything that you no longer need. Better to new-up new instances of objects than keep them in memory.

Thank you! This helped. I never knew Roku box had port 8080 open for such debugging. Btw, can you please tell me(or provide a link which describes) what are the other commands in that interface?

Thanks again.
Chandana
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

This is not public information and is only available under NDA.

- Joel
0 Kudos
coolbits
Visitor

Hi RokuJoel,
How can we obtain these information? I think they are pretty useful for hardcore Roku developers.
Thanks,
Chandana
0 Kudos
thetick
Roku Guru

As far as the memory for the devices: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
Sign up for SDK and you'll get access to the SDk documentation. http://owner.roku.com/Developer
Not sure if that will have the info you are requesting but it's a start and has good documentation on the debug environment.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
coolbits
Visitor

Thank you all for the help. 🙂
0 Kudos