Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stevenz3340
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku /keypress ECP command returning HTTP status code 401

Same here. I have 2 roku ultras. One is fine. Other is not. I tried power cycle roku and C4. No avail.

i can launch an app such as YouTube tv, NBA app, Max, etc. After it launches I can’t move up/down, select doesn’t work. Nothing.

is this what others see? It was fine yesterday 

TIA

0 Kudos
milehighmatt
Reel Rookie

Exact same symptoms.

You can factory reset it and it will be operable again (assuming IP address stays the same) but all of the ones I did broke again about a day later with same problem. So you have to decide if its worth signing into your apps again. 

0 Kudos
thecreativeone
Reel Rookie

According to the ECP page this API may have been discontinued https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/developer-program/dev-tools/external-control-api.md

"Support for sending ECP commands from within a Roku channel application has been discontinued"…..

"In addition, ECP commands may not be sent from 3rd-party platforms (for example, mobile applications)."

0 Kudos
Stevenz3340
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the update. Now what does this mean for customers who use various control systems such as Control4 or others to control hundreds of devices. 

What is Roku’s rationale for doing this?

thanks

0 Kudos
forcedfx
Reel Rookie

If this is true it's just straight up unbelievable. This started happening to me a day or two ago that I've noticed. I rely on my custom Android app to control my Rokus. Why do they just keep making these things worse?

cyborg_helpplea
Binge Watcher

Can we get an official response? Are they going to address this problem?

milehighmatt
Reel Rookie

My guess is no. They have 80 million users. How many use this deprecated api? A tenth of 1 percent would be generous. I doubt it's even a blip on their radar. 

0 Kudos
cyphers
Reel Rookie

This is absurd and unbelievable. Also this is not at all a small segment of users. Every single control system and app is blocked for Roku all of a sudden with no warning and no alternative API? Let’s start with who is getting fired for this debacle! I could see this affecting stock price depending on how this goes. This is one of the most functional and simplest control APIs in existence and a huge feature for Roku. I have to say I’m still in the camp aiming this must be a stupid bug because someone would need to be fired to do something as stupid as removing this.

0 Kudos
cyborg_helpplea
Binge Watcher

Well let's not go overboard with the reactions. Let's keep the question at the bottom: will this be addressed or not? 

0 Kudos
MC417

As an integration dealer of Control4, Crestron and URC we have been getting a lot of calls about this situation from our clients. Oddly enough it is not affecting all Roku players. I have 4 Roku players at my own home ranging in models (new and a few years old) and have not had any issues yet, full control of all 4 Roku players. I'm sure I just jinxed myself. We have hundreds if not thousands of clients using Roku players on automated systems. This is kind of a big deal. Similar to the debacle Apple did with the AppleTV players several years back.  Lets hope they get this figured out soon!