Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sinjed

Re: Roku /keypress ECP command returning HTTP status code 401

Same issue here. 3x Roku Ultra 4660, only 1 has this issue which we began noticing on 3/31.

0 Kudos
Rok4MomProject
Reel Rookie

This broken functionality does not seem to be associated with a software version or update. I think this is a bug. If this is part of roku removing the functionality can someone official please say so. I must figure out a solution for my mom and waiting here with silence from roku is no solution. My next step will be to attempt an infrared transmitter to accomplish the same tasks. If roku feels they must remove this functionality to stop 3rd party applications from taking away eyeballs from their internal method of promotion then maybe they can require the functionality to be enabled in a secret menu so that this one extra step makes the widespread use of a 3rd party app significantly less likely.

0 Kudos

I do control4 I made an ir driver for just navigation and in programming I tell mini apps to swap to my driver instead of roku IP driver for navigation for the time being it’s working fine a little clunky if you press buttons too fast it keeps scrolling for a few seconds but it’ll get people by for now

0 Kudos
RokuNicole-S
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We have published a blog on the ECP issues:

https://blog.roku.com/developer/addressing-current-ecp-issues-our-developer-are-experiencing

We'll give more updates when they become available, thank you for your understanding. 

babybird
Channel Surfer

Just to clarify, that's a misunderstanding of what that notice says. It's saying that the ability to send ECP commands via a Roku Channel (app) has been removed. This is referring to something you install on the Roku device and run on the Roku device itself no longer has the ability to send ECP commands to the Roku device that it's running on. The API itself is still available for external devices to send commands and control the Roku device.

Thank you to Roku staff for responding to this and acknowledging that the issue is under investigation. I'm looking forward to this working again soon, as I depend on it for controlling devices in meetings at work, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

0 Kudos
forcedfx
Reel Rookie

I hope something is wrong about the notice then because it states...

"In addition, ECP commands may not be sent from 3rd-party platforms (for example, mobile applications)."

0 Kudos
Rok4MomProject
Reel Rookie

"In addition, ECP commands may not be sent from 3rd-party platforms (for example, mobile applications)."

0 Kudos
cyphers
Reel Rookie

It's got to be a typo. An entire ecosystem across ~12 years has been built on ECP, and the very same page then goes on to describe ECP and then provide a literal Android app as sample code. That sentence just makes no sense and directly conflicts with everything below it. Roku would be castrating themselves to remove ECP.

babybird
Channel Surfer

@cyphers wrote:

It's got to be a typo. An entire ecosystem across ~12 years has been built on ECP, and the very same page then goes on to describe ECP and then provide a literal Android app as sample code. That sentence just makes no sense and directly conflicts with everything below it. Roku would be castrating themselves to remove ECP.

Exactly this. The notice says that sending ECP commands from a channel is what's been discontinued, not ECP itself - which is literally the RESTful API meant for controlling Roku devices over a local area network. When they mention "3rd-party platforms", it's not crystal clear, but given the full context, they're most likely referring to remote 3rd-party platforms over the internet. 3rd-party platforms is not referring to other devices on the same local area network - that's not what a platform is. A 3rd party platform would be something like Amazon's Alexa where the control channel is coming from the internet and not from another local device on the same LAN (and Alexa would actually translate something like that within an Alexa skill on the device and still send the ECP command from the local device on the LAN rather than from the internet directly).

But since Roku has responded, we'll just wait and see what their engineers say after they've investigated why this quit working without them pushing a new firmware disabling it. This was almost certainly unintentional.

0 Kudos
madtown09
Channel Surfer

yes, same behavior with the remote as described elsewhere (can launch apps, not navigate).  Lets see where support goes.

0 Kudos