Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Roku does not remember private networks

I'm having to switch Roku on and off from a private wifi network.  Every time to rejoin the private network, the full SSID needs to be entered via the on-screen keyboard as well as the password.  My other devices (laptops, phones) are able to remember the SSID and password and it would be much more convenient if Rokus were also able to remember this, especially given that the keyboard entry of the case-sensitive SSID is much more cumbersome on Roku.
I guess this is a pretty minor issue since most people have no need to move their Rokus around like I do.  But it sure is frustrating for what I'm doing today!
aspiring
14 REPLIES 14
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Roku does not remember private networks

What you describe as private network is a "hidden SSID". 
I won't pity you much, here is why:

• It's the WiFi owner's choice whether to use such feature. Ask them to fix it or live with it - it's not real security but privacy-through-obscurity.

• "It's not personal" - Roku does not remember any SSIDs, except the one in use. If they were to add remembering >1 SSID, they'll have also to add UI to manage such list ("forget?", re-order, change password... complications)

• You can use mobile app to type in the pass... whoops, i screwed up on this one  Smiley LOL 
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Hiding an SSID is such a terrible idea, I'd be inclined to put up a big banner that says "Please restore your router to a non-stupid state before continuing".

Luckily I'm not in charge of such decisions.

--Mark
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Smiley LOL Believe me, I am in total agreement with both of you. 

"It's not personal" - Roku does not remember any SSIDs, except the one in use.

My only point of contention is that Roku DOES remember passwords of publicly visible wifis even when it's moved out of range and back again.  Why can't it similarly remember the password of the private wifi?  OK I'm sure there is a good reason.
aspiring
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Hiding an SSID is such a terrible idea, I'd be inclined to put up a big banner that says "Please restore your router to a non-stupid state before continuing".
Luckily I'm not in charge of such decisions.

And i thought it was only me who is prone to making "extremist" statements, LOL :mrgreen:

To put things in perspective: using hidden SSID about equals using "x-roku-reserved-dev-id", i feel. 
As in, if used alone for security, it's a horribly bad thing. 
As part of multi-faceted strategy both may have some use... one imagines.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
What you describe as private network is a "hidden SSID". 

I did not make this terminology up!  You meant what Roku describes as private network.  Go look on your wifi screen.

"EnTerr" wrote:
It's the WiFi owner's choice whether to use such feature. Ask them to fix it or live with it - it's not real security but privacy-through-obscurity.

Apparently our options are to use the "private" network (terminology from Roku wifi screen), or, risk someone coming through and steal all our networking equipment.  Which would you choose?
aspiring
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I imagine it's not a reasonable solution to fire your IT department and hire IT professionals who know something about networking.
Would it help to provide documentation on why hidden SSIDs are bad?  Just google "hidden SSID" and you'll find dozens of clearly written explanations.

--Mark
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

BTW, I apologize if I seem unnecessarily curmudgeonly about this.  It's a bit of a pet peeve with me.

It's understandable that some nontechnical person might set up his home network with a hidden SSID, believing that hiding information must provide more security.  But for a supposed IT professional to not only allow this violation of the 802.11 RFC, but require it, is inexcusable.  And in reality it doesn't make your network more secure, it makes it less secure, making it easier for an attacker to mount a KARMA or "Evil Twin" attack.

--Mark
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

I think you're misunderstanding our situation; 
i don't know who set this hidden wifi up, I'm just glad I have access to it since it allows for debugging!
aspiring
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@joetesta - It's not easy to understand your situation, given that you deleted the previous message with explanation 😉
I am not quoting your current one, since i figure you may intend to delete that one too.

Why are you being radio pirates in the first place? Why not put very clear and specific requirements to IT what do you need for Roku development? Make it very clear to the powers be that work cannot be done w/o the right connectivity, then put feet on the desk and patiently await for resolution, while collecting paycheck. Don't be enabler for IT laziness! 
0 Kudos