Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Roku Packager - does the name matter?

For the "App Name/Version:" field - it always renames the file after you download the pkg, so is the field used internally by Roku somehow? After creating lots of package files I thought I might need to start tracking that field so updates match?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Packager - does the name matter?

It is a good idea to keep that field in sync with your current release version and build for our internal reference.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I suppose my question is - for the field in the packager screen, if I put a name/version as MyNewChannel/1.0 for the first release, and then put Mynewchannels-1-1 for the second package, and then like MyNeWChannel1.2 the third time, does it cause any issues later? Is it case sensitive, or does it make a difference?

Also, would it be possible to change the file save hyperlink name to match what you typed into the name/version field in some form .pkg rather than the cryptic name it sticks there now?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

On the first question, I don't think it matters, just a text field.

On the second question, I'll look into this and get back to you.

Personally, I create a folder called Releases, and every time I generate a new package, I create a subfolder with the version number, like "1.1 build 3" and save the package there.

- Joel
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

The answer is, renaming the package should not cause any problems.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Thanks RokuJoel
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

The filename doesn't matter, but the name you specify to the packager is used internally, and should match the name you choose for the Channel Store.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
The filename doesn't matter, but the name you specify to the packager is used internally, and should match the name you choose for the Channel Store.

Is it case sensitive? Or how close should the 'match' be?
0 Kudos