Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veeta
Visitor

Roku Express & Roku TV firmware 7.2 not freeing memory after Scene Graph exit

I've been working to pare down the feature set on a Scene Graph app enough to get acceptable performance on the Roku Express and 5000X TV platforms.  I've had a hard time tracking down unresponsive UIs, freezing and crashing until I noticed the upward memory trend.  I lose about 10MB of free memory each time I enter and exit the channel.  Doesn't happen on non-scenegraph channels.  Also doesn't happen on firmware 7.5.  

Both the problematic Express and TV devices are currently stuck at firmware 7.2 and exhibit this behavior.  I wonder if this is the issue behind the Netflix problem reported in the General Discussion forum https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=97709 ?  The common symptom there being that Netflix is one of the few channels that runs a non-SDK1 experience on these low-spec devices.

I'm wondering if others are experiencing this or perhaps RokuCo can verify a known issue and fix in the works.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express & Roku TV firmware 7.2 not freeing memory after Scene Graph exit

Well if it doesn't happen on 7.5 then they fixed it, right? All Roku's will get 7.5 at some point.
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

Re: Roku Express & Roku TV firmware 7.2 not freeing memory after Scene Graph exit

While you're probably right, I was hoping for something a little more conclusive.  The combination I don't have is an Express or 5000X TV with 7.5 firmware to do an A/B verification.  It may be that there's a device-specific concern (e.g. they're both non-OpenGL) which is not resolved in 7.5.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Ah, I see the problem. That's why I test across 7 Rokus, and I still don't think I have enough!
0 Kudos