Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Development without Developers

I posted a project a few days looking for someone to modify the videoplayer sample code, but no one's bitten. Instead, it got some erroneous talk about licensing.

What I'm wondering now: how is a fledgling platform supposed to take off if ppl willing to spend money to create a channel can't even find anyone capable of using the SDK to make that channel?

At this point in the game, Roku should offering up -direct- help to content creators to make channels. In other words, it would make total economic sense for them to respond to my post and create the channel as spec'd. Without content, the Roku's going no where. Tivo can stream Netflix and Amazon on Demand with no additional fuss, as well as YouTube, etc.. Other competitive developments are coming online each day, like Netflix streaming embedded into TVs, too. The big difference with the Roku is that -anyone- can create a channel... but like the web in its infancy, it's going to either need a lot of more details in the templates or it's going to need developers to create channels.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
bbefilms
Visitor

Re: Roku Development without Developers

My guess is that roku is a fairly small company and perhaps probably most of their development time is spent getting new functionality/fixing bugs. There are folks out there who are now functioning as consultant developers for the Roku player (I'm one of them) and as the player gets more developers, the cost of development will surely go down, but remember that the SDK has only been publicly available for less than two months.

You might get a better response by PM'ing some developers on the forum regarding potential development, or post to a place like this:
http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/Do ... fault.aspx
I'm sure there's a bright college student or similar who would jump at the chance to make $500.
0 Kudos
campbellwang
Visitor

Hi TVforEveryone,

I’m sorry to hear of your frustration but I would like you to note this: How many channels do you see in the Roku Channel store? Not many. That is it. Most people like ourselves are probably still working on their own channels. They probably don’t have time to work on other people’s channels until they get their own out.

We at CDNOne are based in London, England the average developer here costs between £250 and £350 a day. Your offer was for $500 which is about £315 in English money. That’s basically a day’s wage for something that will not be done in a day. Do you have any idea how long we have been in development? If you did then you would really appreciate how much some of us are spending creating our channels.

I think people under appreciate what’s involved in developing and the constant demands from those not involved in the process amazes me.

Bbefilms is correct you might have to find a developer on one of those freelance sites. Not everything happens overnight.
CDNOne.com | CDNTwo.com
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

"bbefilms" wrote:
My guess is that roku is a fairly small company and perhaps probably most of their development time is spent getting new functionality/fixing bugs.

Correct. About 50 people total, including the person who sweeps the floor.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
mosten
Visitor

I PM'd this comment to the OP earlier today, but I believe that it has some merit for anyone asking this type of question. It will get cheaper/easier as time goes on, but as it is now, it's supply and demand.

Take my comments as you like...but

I think that you are underestimating the amount of work required to do what you are asking. Being a developer of an existing channel, Brightscript just isn't very well understood, even by the people that have managed to develop something. Take that in account along with your requirements are pretty open-ended from a software development stand-point ( You -"Oh, that's not what I meant, can you change it to do this? Should should be simple right?" Developer - "Please kill me").

I should also mention that there's a lot of server side code that needs to be written as well.

This is why there hasn't been a flood of channel releases since the SDK was released.

In addition, keep in mind that as soon as you develop a Roku channel, you might want to start working on the next platform as Roku may not be the hot ticket forever.

Our channel took many months to develop and we had some limited help from others and better sample code. Some people have had the SDK for a long time and they still came up with a channel that is very basic and/or buggy.

Without copying existing code....

linking/registration code would take a week of coding and debugging.

Changing the XML - at least 4 hours.

Modification of the flow (removing the screen) 4 hours.

Resume playing - at least a week of coding and debugging both client and server side.

4:3 to 16:9 images - easy 10 minutes.

optional PIN code - at least a week of coding and debugging client and server side.

I would say that to get what you want, you'll need to offer more in the $5k-10k range (and that's not me or any of the existing channel operators). Anyone that takes up the project for $500 would be doing a disservice to both themselves and you.

Again, take it any way you like, but I think I'm in a good position to be correct.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

mosten,

I'm not a coder or developer, but I absolutely see what you're saying. I've been in the Roku beta helping test new channels, and often times the channel developers have to do additional tweaking when it goes through the QA testing by the beta testers... sometimes many tweaks...

Is all that included in the $500? Because I think you're right -- this seemingly simple project could turn into several weeks or more of development.
0 Kudos
mosten
Visitor

KennyJ,

You are right. Seemingly simple things, for example "auto refreshing a playlist after removing an item" literally took me weeks to get working correctly.

There is a lot of "try this, upload, swivel chair, test, didn't work, try this, upload, swivel chair, test, didn't work, try this, upload, swivel chair, test, didn't work................Syntax Error. Crap, what did I change again?"

The OP requirement of a PIN dialog that is *sometimes* there makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry.
0 Kudos

Your custom Roku Channel

Good evening.

We are a Roku Developer. If you still need someone to create your channel, please don't hesitate to contact us.

We are currently working on two other channels as we speak. Let us know if we can help. Thanks!

Float Left Interactive
http://www.floatleftinteractive.com
--
Float Left Interactive Team
www.floatleftinteractive.com
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

Re: Your custom Roku Channel

"floatleftinteractive" wrote:
Good evening.

We are an official Roku Developer. If you still need someone to create your channel, please don't hesitate to contact us.

We are currently working on two other channels as we speak. Let us know if we can help. Thanks!

~Kirby
Float Left Interactive

If you ever need beta testers, I'd love to be included.
0 Kudos
MarkRoddy
Visitor

Re: Your custom Roku Channel

"floatleftinteractive" wrote:
Good evening.

We are an official Roku Developer. If you still need someone to create your channel, please don't hesitate to contact us.

~Kirby
Float Left Interactive

I was not aware there is an 'Official Developer' program. Is info on this som where in the SDK docs that I missed or is it not being advertised directly?
0 Kudos