Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PragmaticDev
Visitor

Roku Development - is it so "hot"?

Hello, all

I'm new to Roku development and it seems that it's hot.
Can someone confirm that? Or, on the contrary, refute it?

Indeed seems to indicate that one can earn almost twice as much as a Roku dev compared to Android:
http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=android+developer&l1=atlanta%2C+GA&q2=roku+developer&l2=atlanta%2C+G...

Yet, there are no positions on the job market.
At least, not in Atlanta.
Also, no developer shows up on LinkedIn (either there aren't any, which is hard to believe, or maybe devs don't think it's that valuable!?)

Is it maybe, a highly-valued skill to be private channel developer? (I imagine, companies want that for marketing reasons)

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
PragmaticDev
Visitor

Re: Roku Development - is it so "hot"?

I don't mean to sound skeptical. I am about to hopefully get a job offer from a company that does Roku development, and I'd like to compare the technology to Android when it comes to marketability.
Thanks
0 Kudos
_rossbower
Visitor

The smoothness of the Roku Developer graph suggests to me that there is simply too small a sample size to give accurate data. I would trust job listings, not that website.
0 Kudos
RobSMS
Visitor

I think that it's bad data. Yes, from my experience, being a Roku developer does pay more but there isn't nearly as much work available as their is for other platforms.

This is most likely due to Android TV/ Apple TV being extensions of bigger platforms. It's kinda hard to compare the 2 because Roku developers are specialized for the 10-foot experience where Android Developers or iOS developers could mean any device that uses their platform.

As for linkedin, I'm listed as a Roku dev on there and I get contacted for work on a regular basis. Not sure why you can't find them, but they are there.
Need Apps Templates? Content Management for OTT/IPTV? Check me out @ http://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

From our side of things it looks like there is a fairly significant demand for good developers and good development shops at the moment.

- Joel
0 Kudos