Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonjo
Visitor

Roku Development Opportunity

Hi,

I work for a company developing in building management systems and home automation, our product sits on a home hub and is able to control heating, lights, security, electric / water / gas metering and air conditioning using wireless technology.
I am interested in moving this product a step further making it more appeal-able to the home user by integrating it with home media giving the home user a complete solution in one box.

What are the possibilities of using Roku's software to achieve this complete solution?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
BradC
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Development Opportunity

if your hub can act as a server and you just need something to interface with it, display information, transmit input, it would work well for that. If you already have a web interface or on many levels a smartphone app, you could expect the same type of functionality to be possible in a roku channel, and should be fairly trivial to do such a thing as long as the hub was doing all the real work, and the roku channel was just acting as a nice gui.

Same thing would work if the hub talked to a central server, like honeywell's total connect system, which would then relay the information to the roku player.

The only real questions would be what do you want it to do, and how secure do you want the traffic to be.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
jonjo
Visitor

We are selling the control hub which is currently controlling everything, what I would like is to make the hub more appeal-able by being able to plug it into the TV using HDMI and providing a service such as Roku OS.

Yes our software is configurable using a web interface.
Yes it would be good to have channel to interface with the setup and control.

I am only after the complete solution so there is not a control hub and a Roku hub but this would involve either deploying Roku OS on our Linux board or adding a wireless module to the next Roku.
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

ok, then no.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos