Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enter0
Visitor

Roku Ad Framework config errors on startup

When I launch my app, I get some RAF–related errors in the debug console. These errors don't show up when my own ad–focused code is running—such as when I generate the macros & URL for my ad server, or when I actually get and play a preroll ad pod before the user–selected video—but rather upon my first creation of the ad interface, and as a result I'm confused as to whether/how I have misconfigured the ad framework.

This is the initial code that seems to produce the errors (all my other RAF–related code only runs when I am actually putting together an ad pod):
    m.adIface = Roku_Ads()
    m.adIface.setAdPrefs(false, 1)

And the resulting console output, including the errors, is as follows:
[RAF.err] getStringFromUrl("https://<private>/raf_config.json"): The requested URL returned error: 403 Forbidden

[RAF.err] checkAllowedFeature("ROKU_ADS_NIELSEN_ID"): No config file response
[RAF] Roku_Ads Framework version 2.0521

I am wondering if this could be related to a hard crash that the certification team has told me happens on certain hardware (the Roku HDMI Stick 3500X, in particular) when attempting to play any video from the home scene/grid. I suspect there is a chance it's related to the ad framework because the crash happens as soon as they select a video, i.e. when the preroll ad pod is being generated, and I'm wondering if this apparent RAF misconfiguration could be the culprit.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
gomad
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ad Framework config errors on startup

I also see this error, I started noticing this from last week. before that these were not seen. Someone from Roku needs to answer, seems there are couple of threads for this issue.
0 Kudos
enter0
Visitor

It does seem to me like this may be related to something internal on Roku's end. These errors only started showing up recently, like within the past week or so, and I hadn't changed any of my RAF code or calls when they started showing up seemingly out of nowhere.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"enter0" wrote:
It does seem to me like this may be related to something internal on Roku's end. These errors only started showing up recently, like within the past week or so, and I hadn't changed any of my RAF code or calls when they started showing up seemingly out of nowhere.

Yes, and yes.
These two [RAF.err] diags above "[RAF] Roku_Ads Framework version" line started showing up with rollout of RAF 2.5 a week or two ago. There is no problem with your code/app in relation with that, nothing to change/fix/worry about.

You'll also notice raf.setDebugOutput(true) prints much more detailed input to console now - as well as that there are [RAF.err] warnings that cannot be suppressed. Pay close attention to clear these, since they almost certainly indicate some issue with ad play, beacon firing etc. Except the two above, ignore them ("pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"...)
0 Kudos