Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjbillings
Visitor

Roku 4 uses of local storage

I've read through SDK documentation but can't confirm it is for the Roku 4 so I wanted to ask what can the local SD/USB storage be used for?

What I would like to do is use it for a cache of some sort. For example, someone brings up my channel and starts streaming a video. They exit and come back and want to play the same video so it pulls it from the cache instead of restreaming. There may have to be some meta data indicating when the cache should expire and the content would ideally be protected so it could not be pirated.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Michael
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku 4 uses of local storage

Hi, no it isn't possible, it is used to allow the device to store more channels locally, so you can have more installed without the system swapping out the least used channels to make room at launch time.

- Joel
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

I think Michael might be referring to the regular USB 2.0 port where a regular customer data USB stick can be inserted, rather than the microSD card slot.

My understanding is that USB sticks are mounted read-only, so your app can read/play media files from it, but can't write to it to use it like a cache.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

USBKiller will fry your roku - so be careful what you plug in there (read only or not)

http://kukuruku.co/hub/diy/usb-killer
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

The OP mentioned both SD and USB, so just to clarify, what Joel and Kevin said were both correct but apply to the different ports:

An SD card is not accessible in any way by a channel, and is used only by the firmware to increase channel storage.

A USB storage device is accessible by a channel via the "ext1:" device, but can only be read, not written.

--Mark
0 Kudos
mjbillings
Visitor

Thanks for the responses. I didn't know the SD card was only for system storage so I was referring to any storage the user might add to the device.

Major bummer though.

Michael
0 Kudos