Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Reports on a channel?

At last i started dipping my toes in "publishing" a channel, so i explored more of the developer portal. I did not see something that i am very used to (spoiled?) in iTunes Connect site - reports section with the number of daily downloads/installs.

Is such information available for the developer of a private channel - stats on new or total installs - and if so, where?
Or for a public channel?
(I assume $$ reports exist for the billing services part but not looking at that yet).
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Reports on a channel?

On the channel/Details page there is the total # of installs but I seem to remember that it is installs only, that is - it doesn't decrease if someone un-installs the channel.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"squirreltown" wrote:
On the channel/Details page there is the total # of installs but I seem to remember that it is installs only, that is - it doesn't decrease if someone un-installs the channel.

It does decrease with uninstalls.

"EnTerr" wrote:
At last i started dipping my toes in "publishing" a channel, so i explored more of the developer portal. I did not see something that i am very used to (spoiled?) in iTunes Connect site - reports section with the number of daily downloads/installs.

Is such information available for the developer of a private channel - stats on new or total installs - and if so, where?
Or for a public channel?
(I assume $$ reports exist for the billing services part but not looking at that yet).

If you apply for access to Roku billing, you can get a daily list of installs for all channels, public and private, even if they don't use Roku billing.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
On the channel/Details page there is the total # of installs

Oh yes - i see it now, a somewhat-odd named "Accounts Installed" - thank you! And the number there is correct so far... "Accounts Installed : 1" for app id 40442 😮
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
[total # of installs] does decrease with uninstalls.
Does not seem to be the case, though? I un-installed the channel from my account and the number did not get from 1 to 0, even as i waited for multiple hours. On the other hand, new adds of channel seem to be shown within hour(s). What am i missing?

"TheEndless" wrote:
If you apply for access to Roku billing, you can get a daily list of installs for all channels, public and private, even if they don't use Roku billing.

Hm, i was afraid it might be something like that. But Roku billing would have some contractual schmonsequences, which i have yet to understand. Why not give access to daily reports to all developers? In comparison, Apple Inc (while known for their cavalier attitude) do not require signing of the "iOS Paid Apps Agreement" to be able to view the download reports in iTunes Connect.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
[total # of installs] does decrease with uninstalls.
Does not seem to be the case, though? I un-installed the channel from my account and the number did not get from 1 to 0, even as i waited for multiple hours. On the other hand, new adds of channel seem to be shown within hour(s). What am i missing?

I know it certainly used to. Maybe deletes are cached longer than adds, or maybe it changed when they added pay channels, to avoid double charging a user who removes and re-adds a channel. I guess we need official Roku comment on that.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I had thought if the user has more than one Roku on their account, removing it from one roku doesn't count towards the channel installs number. You'd need to go through each of your rokus to remove it - and there is an issue where on first generation rokus you can't remove some channels (or was last I remembered). Unless it's manually removed from each roku box it will show up as being an installed account.
Maybe Roku needs a "RemoveChannel" page for users - since they have an Add Channel page. -- there was an issue here - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=67283 -- there have probably been a few other 'quirks' - like has anyone tested if they install a bunch of channels on their account and then do a factory reset on their roku and install them again, has the channel installed count remained accurate? What if they installed the channels, did a factory reset, and then linked the roku to a brand newly-created account on the roku site as a brand new user? Is the system smart enough to realize the serial was previously used on a different account to correct the installed count? Have any scenarios been tested by Roku aside from a simple add to a single roku and standard removal from same roku?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Seriously EnTerr, all these posts and criticisms on the forum - you are probably the most prolific poster in the past few months - and you haven't even submitted a channel yet? :shock:

The only consequence of signing up for Roku billing is you might make a few $, or at least 70% of a few $. And you get more detailed reports too!

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Seriously EnTerr, all these posts and criticisms on the forum - you are probably the most prolific poster in the past few months -
Are my questions vexing you, RokuJoel?
Excuse my tenacity in searching answers for things that interest me - but in my defense:
  • Most questions I ask are of common interest to other developers too.

• I first try doing my research in the Roku docs (aka RTFM)

• I believe this dev.forum is a great source of FAQ information - hence before askin, i search it first here and most often find the answer (now imagine how many questions i've had). And then, if i ask and my question gets answered, it remains answered for others in the future, woo-hoo.

• I try to contribute too, by answering questions whose answers i know. Give me some credit for that.

If we get into rating mode, IMO you are probably the third* most helpful person in the forum in the past few months. I do appreciate your help in the cases when you have provided answers. Thank you!
(* the other two have the bar raised way high)

and you haven't even submitted a channel yet? :shock:
Well, umm... :oops: I did, actually. That's why i started looking for the report facility. Admittedly i don't consider it production quality, not something to show off. Just dipping my toes in, trying to gauge people's interest.

The only consequence of signing up for Roku billing is you might make a few $, or at least 70% of a few $. And you get more detailed reports too!
Some things are worth more deliberation than others. Like when RokuCo asks me to file IRS Form W-9 "Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification", that gives me a pause and i start mulling over what tax considerations might be. You know, is all fun and games till tax man comes a-knockin'. My cautiousness might be laughable, so let me end with a cringe joke: do you know how do hedgehogs have sex?
[spoiler=poster:164dzzap][/spoiler:164dzzap]
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Are my questions vexing you, RokuJoel?

EDIT: I have never had a problem with your questions, just the way in which they are asked seem hostile. I've always made a significant effort to follow up internally getting your questions and bugs resolved, but it isn't always possible, or timely.

- Joel
0 Kudos