Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leeladhar
Level 7

Removing Ellipsis and having complete 4 lines of description

Hi,

In roSpringBoardScreen details screen, I have added description

item.description = "some text". (which is not more than 340 chars)

It shows description but adds ellipsis after some chars in the single line, but i want to display the complete description. How to increase the length of description? In documentation it is mentioned that we can have 4 lines of description each line containing 85 chars, but i don't know why in my description, it just adds the ellipsis in the firsline only and doesn't continue with second and 3rd lines .

Can some one give me the right syntax on getting the description which can have more than one line.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Increasing the length of description

I don't think it will wrap the lines for you. You have to put in the line feeds yourself, like:
description = "This is a very long description that goes over one line.  I'll put in a line feed here," + chr(10) + "so I can make each line fit within the space allowed."

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
leeladhar
Level 7

Hi ,

Still the above is not working

I tried both of these, (ASCII for Carriage return and Line feed)

item.description = "This is a very long description that goes over one line. " + chr(10) + "I'll put in a line feed here" + "so I can make each line fit within the space allowed."

item.description = "This is a very long description that goes over one line. " + chr(13) + chr(10) + "I'll put in a line feed here" + "so I can make each line fit within the space allowed."

I am trying this is in roSpringBoardScreen which should be displayed below the Actors information

leeladhar
0 Kudos
leeladhar
Level 7

I have been working with video player example application in roku sdk,

I have tried many methods to have the description shown completely instead of partially showing it with ellipsis in roSpringBoardScreen, but was not able todo it.
I tried using linefeeds, different contentypes etc but no luck, I am not sure why it's not taking rest of the description either with linefeeds etc, is their any specific setting which i would be missing to get complete description at least 4 lines as mentioned document without ellipsis ??
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 9

Re: Removing Ellipsis and having complete 4 lines of descrip

What description style have you set with the SetDescriptionStyle() method?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
leeladhar
Level 7

Hi,

screen.SetDescriptionStyle("video")

is the description style

leeladhar
0 Kudos
leeladhar
Level 7

Hi TheEndless,

Finally got fixed, by setting description style to generic fixed the problem Smiley Happy

Thank You very much Smiley Happy

leeladhar
0 Kudos