Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leeladhar
Visitor

Removing Ellipsis and having complete 4 lines of description

Hi,

In roSpringBoardScreen details screen, I have added description

item.description = "some text". (which is not more than 340 chars)

It shows description but adds ellipsis after some chars in the single line, but i want to display the complete description. How to increase the length of description? In documentation it is mentioned that we can have 4 lines of description each line containing 85 chars, but i don't know why in my description, it just adds the ellipsis in the firsline only and doesn't continue with second and 3rd lines .

Can some one give me the right syntax on getting the description which can have more than one line.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Increasing the length of description

I don't think it will wrap the lines for you. You have to put in the line feeds yourself, like:
description = "This is a very long description that goes over one line.  I'll put in a line feed here," + chr(10) + "so I can make each line fit within the space allowed."

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
leeladhar
Visitor

Hi ,

Still the above is not working

I tried both of these, (ASCII for Carriage return and Line feed)

item.description = "This is a very long description that goes over one line. " + chr(10) + "I'll put in a line feed here" + "so I can make each line fit within the space allowed."

item.description = "This is a very long description that goes over one line. " + chr(13) + chr(10) + "I'll put in a line feed here" + "so I can make each line fit within the space allowed."

I am trying this is in roSpringBoardScreen which should be displayed below the Actors information

leeladhar
0 Kudos
leeladhar
Visitor

I have been working with video player example application in roku sdk,

I have tried many methods to have the description shown completely instead of partially showing it with ellipsis in roSpringBoardScreen, but was not able todo it.
I tried using linefeeds, different contentypes etc but no luck, I am not sure why it's not taking rest of the description either with linefeeds etc, is their any specific setting which i would be missing to get complete description at least 4 lines as mentioned document without ellipsis ??
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Removing Ellipsis and having complete 4 lines of descrip

What description style have you set with the SetDescriptionStyle() method?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
leeladhar
Visitor

Hi,

screen.SetDescriptionStyle("video")

is the description style

leeladhar
0 Kudos
leeladhar
Visitor