Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Remotely reboot Roku, official word on it?

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Well, as TheEndless as said, Roku has one too.

And i replied to that eleven months ago, in this same thread. No, seriously - see above 🙂
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Ok, I'm confused. In point (a) of your objection to the screen, you say it's not accessible via ECP. But when I queried your comparison to other products which don't have a network accessible reboot, you said "It is about being able to restart by using a remote." Ok, you can reboot the Roku using a remote. You can't reboot it via ECP. Is that what you're asking for?

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Ok, I'm confused. In point (a) of your objection to the screen, you say it's not accessible via ECP. But when I queried your comparison to other products which don't have a network accessible reboot, you said "It is about being able to restart by using a remote." Ok, you can reboot the Roku using a remote. You can't reboot it via ECP. Is that what you're asking for?

I feel complete idiot when i fail to explain and be understood. Is it really unclear if your read the whole thread, it still fits on one screen? OK, let me try in examples, hope that helps:

Case A, i use AppleTV, controlling it with remote app from iPhone. I can restart the device with the app (just like i can restart it with physical remote).

Case C, i use Chromecast, controling it with network device and can restart it from there (can't do that with physical remote, since there isn't one).

Case D, i use DirecTV DVR, controlling it with remote app on say Android. I can restart the DVR with the app (in the very same way i can do that with the physical remote).

In that way, how about case R, where Roku player can be restarted by smartphone app too?
Now with that in mind, i started the thread saying that if there was a way (say Konami code via ECP), i'd add shortcut for that to my app. (Or if it were done through the main menu system as in (A), (D) and Tivo, there wouldn't be need for that even.)

PS. On re-read, the devices i mentioned DO have network accessible reboot, through the on-screen menu system. Why are you saying they don't?
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Well I suppose the problem was the inconsistent use of the term "remote". You can restart Roku with a real remote. You can't restart Roku with a network device acting as a remote. So I guess that's your request. To me a "network reboot" means being able to send a command to reboot the unit without seeing the screen and navigating menus.

--Mark
0 Kudos
taa

Can something like a Harmony Hub be programmed to send the soft restart sequence (home 5, up 1, rewind 2, ff 2) in place of IR remotes? And "point-anywhere" wireless remotes?

I could then use my voice to execute the soft restart sequence using an Amazon Echo or Google Home device.

0 Kudos