Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
streamingguy
Visitor

ROKU device hangs on video load!

Hello,

I am using HLS streaming for my VOD content, which is encoded with High profile. It has 3 streams with 700kbps, 1.1mbps and 1.6mbps.

As I have enough bandwidth, I am getting 1.6mbps stream and its duration is 2Hr 40 Mins.

I also have subtitles for this stream in .srt format.

Few times, when I start my video, the loading message appears, the progress bar will show as 50% loaded and then the player hangs on there. But, I hear the audio properly. After this, no key on the remote will work and I need to reboot the ROKU device.

Is it due to the issue in my stream? I am just using "videoplayer" sample provided in SDK dcumentation.

Thank you for your time!
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: ROKU device hangs on video load!

HI,

while it probably is due to something related to your stream, please send me, via private message (from the User Control Panel on this board) the .m3u8 url of your stream so we can test it, and try to determine why it is hanging the device.

The first thing I would look at in terms of why it buffers and plays audio only, is the upstream bandwidth from your encoder - is it sufficient for the amount of data you are pushing, and I would look at CPU usage of your encoder, as well as any data files such as .smil files that you send to the Roku player. - are they accurate to the data rates you are using?

- Joel
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: ROKU device hangs on video load!

Hi, check this forum thread, see if it helps:

viewtopic.php?p=236282

- Joel
0 Kudos