Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

ROKU Time servers down?

Trying to set the time on roku automatically and it's failing; are the time servers used by roku down? This would be urgent for apps that are time-based.

"The time could not be set from the network and will not be displayed. Please check your network connection.
Note that some channels will not work correctly until the time has been set."

I checked my network connection and it's fine. Anyone know what's going on?
aspiring
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: ROKU Time servers down?

Update: whatever the issue was appears resolved today, getting the correct time now, whereas yesterday it was a good 10+ days in the past.
aspiring
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

spoke to soon, still seeing an issue when running roku through a web proxy and rebooting, the time is many days in the past. This wasn't happening last week, something changed
aspiring
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

What does this even mean, "Trying to set the time on roku automatically and it's failing"? I thought Roku always fetches its own time. No idea where you are seeing that error msg and by whom either. Maybe posting a screenshot would have helped?
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Sorry for being unclear, that was under Settings -> System -> Time -> Time zone -> Set automatically
I tried that after seeing dates from roDateTime as several days in the past. seems it's only happening when running through a web proxy.
aspiring
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

date = CreateObject("roDateTime")
print "The date is now "; date.AsDateString("long-date") + " "; date.GetHours(); ":"; date.GetMinutes(); ":"; date.GetSeconds()

I run that after disconnect from the proxy and reboot roku
output: The date is now Wednesday December 9, 2015 23:56:12

then going to home screen and run a few minutes later, it gets the correct time
output: The date is now Wednesday January 20, 2016 2:55:40

last week the time was correct through the proxy, so at first I thought it was a more widespread issue
aspiring
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

If the Roku is not able to connect to the time server, it will boot with a date in the past (actually the date the software was built).

I think the IP address of the time servers changed on the day you were having trouble. Maybe stale DNS information? Perhaps related to your proxy server?

--Mark
0 Kudos
edskitter
Visitor

Concerning the time server, I am setting a demo for a Roku that will not have access to the internet. The Roku is for a trade show that will not have internet access. The time does not get set correctly and is set to November 11,2015.

Could you provide the ntp address for the Roku? Or how could we set the datetime as our client relies on the datetime for guide data. We could then setup a ntp server on our local server to give the correct time to the Roku.

Thanks for any help on this matter.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

That's not really possible. The system is deliberately designed so that only the actual Roku time server can set the time.

--Mark
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"edskitter" wrote:
how could we set the datetime as our client relies on the datetime for guide data.

I was thinking we could hit an API that would give the current time on app launch and then retain the offset from the roku's time as a global var to be used whenever the time is needed. Hopefully won't need to do that but maybe it would work for your situation.
aspiring
0 Kudos