Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradynapier
Visitor

Re: REP NB1: Add ECP /query/channel = channel# tuned to now

Bump and +1 - the Roku API is severely lacking... it should do MUCH more.

Have each service register meta data using JSON - pass that metadata to connected clients. Not that difficult. Can use long polling or HTTP GET or POST commands to a registered device. Would allow the Roku to do so much more. After getting into the Apple TV API I have realized just how much is missing from Roku - ATV is about to make a big jump on y'all if you don't do something about it!

http://www.dashos.net/product/apple-tv/

Please please please revise your External Control! Even if it is just what channel is currently playing, but events is really the key... being able to react to things and make the Roku apart of a home automation solution.
0 Kudos
berrydevnoco
Visitor

Bump +1

I've been developing on Roku for <24 hours. The very first thing I wanted to do was capture the running context. This does seem like a business basic capability.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"berrydevnoco" wrote:
Bump +1

I've been developing on Roku for <24 hours. The very first thing I wanted to do was capture the running context. This does seem like a business basic capability.

This request is for developers developing apps external to the Roku. If you're developing on the Roku, this won't provide any benefit to you.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
HTI_Brian
Visitor

Bump!
0 Kudos
SGT
Visitor

Bump on this one.

I'm busy developing an external app and a lightweight viewing channel to go with it, and I've run across a scenario where I need to know (to a reasonable degree of accuracy, the race conditions identified much earlier in this thread not withstanding) whether the channel is running (so I can send a /input) or not (so I can send a /launch).

I figured I may be able to do it with a hybrid DIAL/ECP approach - use DIAL to determine if the channel is running or not, and ECP to launch / control as appropriate, but it seems like a lot of extra effort.
0 Kudos