Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

RAM memory

My 2XS (original) shows 39mb available when running r2D2_bitmaps (256mb installed) and my Roku3 shows 70mb available (512mb installed).

Can someone confirm that these models are the same as the Roku3 (512mb installed, 70mb available to the channel)
thanks

2700 new Roku LT
2710 new Roku 1
2720 new Roku 2
3500 HDMI streaming stick
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: RAM memory

They are not. The streaming stick has 50mb available (as does the Roku TV, if you're interested), and the 27xx boxes have 63mb available.
I'm pretty sure the memory available to the 2D API is completely unrelated to the 256/512mb memory installed in the device, but per wikipedia, all of the current generation devices have 512mb.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Thank you Endless, I knew I was really talking to you.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I have no idea what "Available memory" in r2d2_bitmaps really means :?: . I feel slightly more comfortable with the output of "free".

But i would take a guess, the value in the-droids-you-are-looking-for may vary on the very same player, depending on changing some settings, for example - is it in HD 720 or 1080 mode (or even SD), is screen mirroring enabled/disabled, is M-Go / news enabled, is Netflix installed (the latter ones are gut feeling)

@squirreltown - have a look at viewtopic.php?f=34&t=78670 where recently we were discussing platforms to test on.

PS. oh, and one more thing - it is likely the firmware is tuned differently for different models and sizes buffers differently (say to allow for screen mirroring and/or new Netflix on HDMI stick, which are not allowed/present on 2XS).
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
the-droids-you-are-looking-fo

Love that one.
Thank you i have been looking at that conversation a lot recently.

Those are all very good questions, if someone who actually builds these boxes wants to weigh-in, that would be most welcome.
I only know 2 things about the results from r2d2_bitmaps - if you exceed the listed limit (-about 3-4mb) , your box stops. dead.
Secondly - the amount you are given is arbitrary, some firmware designer decides how much gruel you can have.
My 2XS box allowed me 35-ish mb for a whole year and then new firmware and now I have 39mb available.

I just looked at my roku3 with a screensaver going, and on the home screen.
set to 1080
Available memory 39853440 used 30146560 max 70000000
Available memory 47377792 used 22622208 max 70000000

set to 720
Available memory 39853440 used 30146560 max 70000000
Available memory 47377792 used 22622208 max 70000000

so that one probably doesn't affect it.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
I have no idea what "Available memory" in r2d2_bitmaps really means . I feel slightly more comfortable with the output of "free".

"free" won't tell you anything with regards to the 2D API. The "available memory" in the r2d2_bitmaps output is how much of the video memory has been allocated to the 2D API in raw uncompressed bytes, and how much of that is still available.

"EnTerr" wrote:
But i would take a guess, the value in the-droids-you-are-looking-for may vary on the very same player, depending on changing some settings, for example - is it in HD 720 or 1080 mode (or even SD), is screen mirroring enabled/disabled, is M-Go / news enabled, is Netflix installed (the latter ones are gut feeling)

Your guess would be wrong.. 😉 The video memory allocation is always that same (per model, per firmware version) regardless of how the box is configured, which makes sense. Your channel is running in a sandbox, so whether another channel is installed or not, should have no bearing on how much video memory is available to you. You can see this yourself if you run r2d2_bitmaps while sitting on the home screen vs. running it while in-channel. All of the "textures" and fonts being used on the home screen are cleared from the allocated memory as soon as you launch a channel.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos