Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Questions re: Best Practices in Supporting End Users

I wouldn't say multiple selection choices to get to the letter you want is revolutionary. But that's just me - a full size bluetooth keyboard, or adding the support of a USB keyboard to use the existing USB media port on the roku device would be quite ideal. The hardware is already there, they'd need to add firmware polling support, which I'd guess is the big holdup in actually doing it.
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I think Enterr is referring to rendezvous linking as the ingenious idea.

Physical keyboard support wouldn't really address the problem since the vast majority of users wouldn't have a keyboard so there would still need to be some other mechanism.

--Mark
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

The vast majority of users link their roku applications with a computer, and a computer HAS a keyboard, so they 'could' plug the computer's keyboard into the roku since they already have one... or go buy a $10 walmart usb keyboard.?
Right now NOBODY has a physical keyboard working on a roku, but this was at CES -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKDn5fXP8yU#t=56
Bluetooth...I just thought it'd be cool to support that with roku.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I don't really understand what you're suggesting. If a user has a problem, you think they should walk over to their computer, unplug the keyboard, carry it back to the Roku, plug it in, type in their problem report, then carry the keyboard back and plug it into the computer again? Wouldn't it be easier to just type it on the computer as long as you're there? The only way a keyboard would help is if it is already plugged into (or paired with) the Roku and is sitting on the coffee table when the problem happens. I doubt many of our users would take the trouble to buy even a $10 dedicated Roku keyboard.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
Right now NOBODY has a physical keyboard working on a roku, but this was at CES -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKDn5fXP8yU#t=56
Bluetooth...I just thought it'd be cool to support that with roku.

Latest models of Roku have no blue teeth, AFAIK - just wifi.
There is already means for WiFi keyboard though, thought i'd mention the obvious: by using the ECP, web browsers and apps on multiple platforms (iOS/Android/Win mobile/Blackberry/WebOS) do to control Roku. I have not heard of dedicated WiFi keyboard but one can kick-start a project on that.

On a side note i am skeptical about the keyboard from that URL getting traction - it's not the first time it is being introduced (maybe the first time as small BT package?) - but the fun of tapping on flat surface? I hate using the "sensor" keys of big kitchen appliances, think tactile feedback is quite important.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
but this was at CES -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKDn5fXP8yU#t=56

Not to stray too far off topic, but I've had one of these for at least 5 years: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/893-1.htm
Slightly larger than a keyfob, but not by much, and the majority of that extra size is to house the battery. Odd to see such a thing at the 2014 CES touting that it's the "future".. 😛
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
I don't really understand what you're suggesting. If a user has a problem, you think they should walk over to their computer, unplug the keyboard, carry it back to the Roku, plug it in, type in their problem report, then carry the keyboard back and plug it into the computer again? Wouldn't it be easier to just type it on the computer as long as you're there? The only way a keyboard would help is if it is already plugged into (or paired with) the Roku and is sitting on the coffee table when the problem happens. I doubt many of our users would take the trouble to buy even a $10 dedicated Roku keyboard.

--Mark

To play devil's advocate - what do you mean I need to own a cell phone just to use the roku device if I lose the remote control for the roku device? You mean if I lose the remote control I have to physically walk over to the cell phone store, buy a cell phone, download the remoku app or similar, and then use it to use the remote functions of the roku device?
Hell yes, I expect people who want to use a keyboard to enter their email address on the roku without using their computer, I fully expect them to actually WANT to pay you guys at roku money for a fully functional bluetooth or full size keyboard of some type to do that. I know I would - I have three roku devices, put me down right now for three fullsize keyboards at whatever price you offer them for -- oh, but wait, you don't offer anything, just screw the customer because it doesn't exist.

Don't you get it? Haven't you had a single request for a keyboard over the past 10 years you have been making roku boxes? Not a single one? wow.
unbelievable.

If I am out of line, feel free to give me a warning or whatever you prefer to do. I'm simply trying to convey how I feel - not insulting, antagonizing perhaps, but not intending to offend you personally.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

btw - maybe you didn't read this - understandable as it's an old thread on an unrelated site -
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1602108

Then I had to set up a Roku account on my computer and associate it with the box. Fine. Now I can do the rest of my setup through my Mac, right? Wrong. Unbelievably, if I want to set up Netflix, I have to enter the email address and password with the stupid little four arrows of the remote. Why the heck couldn't I just use the computer's keyboard??

So since users are having to run between the pc, to roku, to pc, to roku, etc etc ad infinitum, having keyboard support of any kind with the roku would still be beneficial over the long run.

Ideally more than a few users wouldn't mind connecting a usb keyboard to the usb keyboard port -- http://streamersworld.com/roku-keyboard-solutions/

"The Roku has amazed me with many of its features. It seemed only natural that I’d be able to connect a keyboard to its USB port and use it to navigate and type. That doesn’t work though. Nor is there a Bluetooth keyboard solution available. It’s the one missing feature that would make the Roku absolutely perfect. Typing using the standard remote control is aggravating. There are a few handy alternatives for people who absolutely must use a keyboard with their Roku."

But since it doesn't work, the easy way out is to simply respond the way you did. 😞
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I'm sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear. I'm not arguing that keyboard support wouldn't be a good thing. I'm simply saying that keyboard support, by itself, would not solve the DEVELOPERS' problem of how to report problems, which was what this thread was about. As a DEVELOPER, not as a user, Roku's adding keyboard support would not allow me to say, ok, now I can close down my web page for problem reports. There will still be a large fraction of the population who use my channel but don't have keyboards.

--Mark
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

There will still be a large fraction of the population who use my channel but don't have keyboards.

A very large fraction, given that only four Roku models have USB ports, and two of them are first generation.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos