Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbro
Visitor

Questions re: Best Practices in Supporting End Users

From section 11. A. ii. in the Channel Development and Content License Agreement
(available here: http://wwwimg.roku.com/static/sdk/legal/roku_channel_developer_agreement.pdf), it's stated that Roku doesn't support end users with content issues, so what is the best practice for doing so from the channel developer's perspective?

Just include an email address in the channel somewhere (maybe in an "About" section) and encourage the end user to email about any issues?

Or do some higher end apps use a web form to send a similar email to the channel developer allowing the end user to type out an email using the onscreen keypad and automatically include other specifics about the channel, e.g. version number etc.?

Or is there some other method I'm missing?

Just trying to get a read on how to build in a robust support structure for end users for a specific publisher client.

On a related note, if I build a channel for a publisher client, do I submit it with my own developer account and specify the client's desired "help" email address as the "support" email if Roku has any questions, or want to send any end users with content related issues to us? Or do I set up a developer account for the client with their desired "help" email address as the developer account's email?

(If I'm not making myself clear, pls let me know and I'll try to further clarify what I'm asking.)

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Questions re: Best Practices in Supporting End Users

Hi,

The only channel I can think of that has a real built in user feedback system is Acorn TV.

The truth is, most channels don't even begin to address this issue.

However, we do require that you include user support info when you submit a channel.

The most important thing you could do, I is to make sure that there is a highly responsive way that we at Roku can reach you immediately when users reach out to us, for example, if your channel has 100k users and it suddenly stops working correctly, your users will probably begin to contact our support team in droves, and we need to be able to get someone on the phone or by email at your company immediately when something like this happens.

To prevent them from contacting our CS team, Ideally, putting a notice somewhere prominent in your application, for example the Help / About page, or even better, on the launch screen when the app is launching:

"For help with issues please visit: http://mywebsite.com/help or call 1-800-555-1212"

to guide your users towards the correct contact email or telephone number. It would be of value to also include this information in the Web Description field in the Channel Properties. While you could include a text-entry form within your channel for reporting issues, it would be more practical for your users to have a "report issue" button that lets the pick from a list of options, for example:

Video Won't Play
Video Rebuffers
Poor Video Quality
Channel Crashed
Subtitle Issues
Other issue

and collects some system data using roDeviceInfo.

Of course, you need a way to link the user's device unique ID and device info to the user's name, so you could use ifChannelStore getPartialUserDatato request the user submit their email address, or you could have them manually enter the unique id into your web-form along with their email address, so that you can contact them about the reported issue.

It would be very helpful to our CS department if more developers actually implemented their own support system. While we don't officially provide support to channel users, we effectively wind up doing so anyway, so anything you can do to help reduce the load on our support team would be appreciated.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If Roku supported an actual Bluetooth keyboard, or included a keyboard packaged with a roku device, then the 'issue' would be more likely to be addressed.
Since it can take an hour or longer to type in a paragraph using the roku remote control with the current available interface, nobody is going to do that - so most end users are directed to the website so they can use an actual keyboard.

Until then, you'll have to settle for a button, like Netflix has on the springboard screen, for 'gee something is wrong, but I have no way to be more specific'. Or multiple buttons as suggested and multiple dialog screens, which is just a pain in the ass interface choice.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

I've wondered why, since Roku has motion sensors in the remotes, why they cant whip up a keyboard with an actual cursor you can freely move around and click. Still bad compared to a real keyboard but way better then the current keyboard system, which really encourages you not to use it.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Actually, you can enter text reasonably fast once you have been doing it all day every day for a few years 8-)

Also our iOS and Android apps let you enter data on a keyboard using your thumbs.

- Joel
0 Kudos
cbro
Visitor

Thanks Joel, destruk and squirreltown. Your feedback is much appreicated.

Based on your input (and the "Help" section within the Acorn TV channel), here is my working draft on how I would advise supporting end users with channel/content specific issues:

1.) Upon channel submission, give Roku's team an email (and ideally a phone number) of the team responsible for end user channel/content support.

2.) Add a "Help" UI linked from the main menu (just like Acorn TV) which would include a general channel description with buttons that allow the user to:
A.) change the channel's overall Video Quality
B.) specify and email address, choose from a list of options and add in a description
C.) run a port test
D.) check membership status
E.) display system characteristics, e.g. what version of hardware/software/channel, etc.

3.) Add a button to each video landing page that reads something like "Help with this video" which would bring the user to a UI to email the publisher's channel/content support team including...
A.) User selects the type of issue from a list of options
B.) User chooses to use the Roku owner's email address to log the ticket (if on Roku OS 5.1+, if not then...) or to enter it in a text form.
C.) User adds a description is desired
D.) Roku device version and the name of the video with the issue are automatically included in the support email
E.) A copy of the email goes to the end user with a prompt explaining that they should hear back in X days and if not how to follow up with the support team for more information.
F.) A confirmation screen shows the user what was sent and what to expect in terms of a reply, e.g. you should hear from us within X days.

Here are my current outstanding questions on taking this approach:
Re: 1 - How is this contact info shared? In the app somewhere or as data entry points in a form upon submission?

Re: 2 - Can anyone explain why the open port test is used is used in Acorn TV's Help section? Just not sure if that's really needed or if it can be left it out.

Re: 3B - I assume we can code in something to the affect of, if the user is on 5.1+ then ask them to allow the channel to use the Roku owner's email address to open the ticket and if not then prompt the user to enter an email address. Please let me know if I'm wrong in this assumption.

Re: 3C - What needs to happen for the end user to be able to use their smart phone keyboard to enter text into a form?

Re: 3D - I assume that this form would have access to (or knowledge of) the name of the video displayed when the "Help with this video" button was selected, but again, please let me know if my assumptions are wrong on this piece.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Hi,

I wouldn't worry so much about this issue. It is good enough to make sure that the user clearly sees the address on their screen where they can request help, more advanced help system implementation is of course up to you if you have the time and budget to implement it.

To try to answer your questions:

1. Contact info should be returned to your app by the roChannelStore function call, and you can then use an http POST to send it to your servers.

2. I"m not suggesting that you create anything as sophisticated as Acorn has, and I don't believe the port test is of much use unless there is an ISP that blocks the port your web servers operate on.

3b, yes that would work, or perhaps you might just direct them to your website with a "linking" type code so that they can create a support ticket there

3c. The user needs to have a smartphone with a Roku Remote app running, for example the official Roku app, or an app like DVPRemote and others which allow you to enter text on your Roku.

3D. You, as the developer control what data the form has access to, so that button should trigger a function that takes the name of the video and any other relevant info, compiles it with the username the user has shared, and device info, and then http posts it to your server. Ideally, you should use https so that any data the user shares with you is transported securely.

- Joel
0 Kudos
thetick
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Actually, you can enter text reasonably fast once you have been doing it all day every day for a few years 8-)

Also our iOS and Android apps let you enter data on a keyboard using your thumbs.

- Joel

That is a very sad answer from a Roku empolyee. I use a laptop or a blackberry with http://remoku.tv. I MUST have a decent keyboard.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
I've wondered why, since Roku has motion sensors in the remotes, why they cant whip up a keyboard with an actual cursor you can freely move around and click. Still bad compared to a real keyboard but way better then the current keyboard system, which really encourages you not to use it.

Because it will be a miserable experience. Have you tried entering text with Wii remote? Maybe i lack months of training with the motion remote but so does the majority of people.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
If Roku supported an actual Bluetooth keyboard, or included a keyboard packaged with a roku device, then the 'issue' would be more likely to be addressed.
Since it can take an hour or longer to type in a paragraph using the roku remote control with the current available interface, nobody is going to do that - so most end users are directed to the website so they can use an actual keyboard.

Until then, you'll have to settle for a button, like Netflix has on the springboard screen, for 'gee something is wrong, but I have no way to be more specific'. Or multiple buttons as suggested and multiple dialog screens, which is just a pain in the ass interface choice.

Boy am i glad Roku has no remote with physical keyboard. Google TV had one and was a failure. I have seen Samsung TV remotes with bunched keyboard on the back - and it stays unused. "Thou shalt not torture" (nor water-keyboard) viewers.

Fortunately it is easy to solve the perceived "issue" here - simply use "device registration and linking"-like mechanism (heck, use roCodeRegistrationScreen). Say user flags issue somehow through your UI - upload all relevant data (video URL, any status variables?) to your server, get back token and present to user, ask them to (your choice):
a) send support email and mention the token or
b) go to support URL and enter the token (or just go to short url that has token encoded), ask there for text description
This way you can collect debug info and person can describe in human speak the issue.

Somebody at RokuCo has faced the typing-long-texts-issue (user/email/password etc) once upon a time - and circumvented it quite ingenuously already. I thought it was quite clever, i have not seen the approach before that - do you know if there was any "prior art"?
0 Kudos