Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevinCam
Reel Rookie

Question about Videoplayer example

Hi there,

I have a quick question about the SpringBoard screen in the videoplayer example (appDetailScreen.brs).

When this page is displayed, the Description contains only one line with ellipsis.

How might this code be changed so that the complete <synopsis> contained in the XML file be displayed?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
_Kevin
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Shlepzig

Categories

Folow the rabbit to the Categories file.

All the data from the XML pages is parsed through that to the other other screens.

-Shlep'
0 Kudos
KevinCam
Reel Rookie

Re: Question about Videoplayer example

Thanks for the reply. I got that far, but if you look in the XML file, the text is very long, but what shows up on the page is about 256 chars then '...'

I'm trying to figure out how to show the whole text.
0 Kudos
Shlepzig

P 29 of the Component Reference

7. The description text will be formatted and justified (right and left edges) to fit between the margins. When the maximum length is reached, the text will be clipped and terminated with an ellipsis. The font is variable pitch, so the maximum number of characters is dependent on the text. The spacing is approximately 85 characters per line x 4 lines = 340 characters. The fonts and character spacing for HD and SD are similar, and display approximately the same number of characters, but the relationship is not exactly 1:1.

Then this may be it.

-Shlep
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

Digging up an old thread. I can add a button like "More Movie Info" below the Play button in videoplayer, but now when I press the button how can it display all my Synopsis test in my xml file for that show and have it show up in a paragraphscreen?

I need to know how to code the part to pass the xml synopsis info to the paragraghscreen and any show I select to see more info it will show the correct text for that show.

Thanks,

DA
0 Kudos
AngeloB
Visitor

Good morn,

Did you ever get the "more info' button working with more text?
0 Kudos
AngeloB
Visitor

Hi Kevin, did you ever get this to work?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Kevin --
Last visited:Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:34 am

Doubt he's around to answer that question. Can you make a new thread describing what you want to do, or what you have tried so far rather than referring to a 3-year old thread asking a guy who hasn't been here for 3 years a question? A lot has changed since then.
0 Kudos
MrKororo
Channel Surfer

Coding from 2010 is so old and is no longer used by Roku. If you are reading this post, you should take it with a grain of salt.

0 Kudos
MrKororo
Channel Surfer

You can find this answer in github's scenegraph coding. Open up any example, then click on components. Look for DetailsScreen or RoScreen or the like. 

Did you find it? Now go to the XML below the BRS doc. Open it. You can use this, just take it and change it around so that yours fits in. 

I'm always taking pre-existing codes. Remember not to use anything from around 2017 or older, those are mostly being phased out as BrightScript and others are taking over.

0 Kudos