Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SacDev72
Channel Surfer

Publish vs Install I got the two confused. I need help to install.

Jump to solution

I accidently started the publish steps before I installed my app. I confused the two. I am a new at using Rocku. 

I need to install my app but I keep getting errors when I try to upload the zip file.  Manifest not found. 

I read it was because I already created a genkey? HELP How do I fix this. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Publish vs Install I got the two confused. I need help to install.

Jump to solution

Have you ever been able to upload a zip?  I'd suggest you start here:

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/getting-started/hello-world.md

You can download a zip within which is another zip that's all ready to be uploaded.  See if you can get that to work.  The message about the manifest usually indicates that you aren't building your zip file properly.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim

Jump to solution

Are you referring to uploading a zip to your Roku device or trying to upload a package to your developer account?  It's not clear what you're trying to do.

0 Kudos
SacDev72
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am trying to upload a zip to my roku device.  I also need help find sample content feed in json format. The example given in the video and on get gives a 404 error. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Have you ever been able to upload a zip?  I'd suggest you start here:

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/getting-started/hello-world.md

You can download a zip within which is another zip that's all ready to be uploaded.  See if you can get that to work.  The message about the manifest usually indicates that you aren't building your zip file properly.

0 Kudos
SacDev72
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you I was able to upload the zip from the hello world example and am following along the documentation. Hopefully I'll be able to get my channel up and running soon! Thanks again for the timely responses. 

0 Kudos
SacDev72
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you, I was able to sideload hello world and part of my next project. I took part of the scenegraph master sample and tried to simplify it just adding the video player, details screen and gridscreen. Having issues with that now too. I'm using VS Code, I'm used to Visual Studio IDE as a C# developer. VS Code editor is not as good and frustrating. There's no build and deploy set up. When I debug I only get to the MainScene then it fails.  I need more resources to learn have any more recommendations? Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@SacDev72, sorry, I don't have any recommendations, maybe others do?  I've never been a big fan of IDEs and have never used one for Roku development.  I just use Notepad++ as an editor and various batch files for zipping and uploading.  I try to keep things simple.  For debugging, the console has always been adequate.  I assume you've seen these:

Roku Developer Tools

I think they're probably beyond what someone just getting started really needs and I don't think I've ever used any of them.  I understand there's a Slack channel with a lot of helpful people, but it's another thing I've never explored.  Truth be told, I really, really dislike Scene Graph development, so I don't do a whole lot anymore.  I can appreciate its power, but that doesn't make up for the grief it's caused me.

0 Kudos