Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rynop
Visitor

Publish channel in another developer account

I'm making apps for many companies.  How do these other companies invite my developer ID to their Roku developer account so I can upload and publish channels on their behalf?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Publish channel in another developer account

AFAIK there is no way and the dev.account -> channel relationship is 1:N, i.e. one dev can have many apps but an app cannot have multiple maintainers and even less different roles (as in iTunes Connect)

So you'll have to give the signed bundle (if the channel customer trusts you to use key of yours) or the unsigned ZIP (if you trust handing the source before customer pays)...
0 Kudos
rynop
Visitor

Yikes.

We are not going to put all apps in our account due to liability reasons (one app does something bad and gets dev acct revoked).  I don't like handing over the zip either, the people I'm giving zip to are not tech saavy, they won't know how to submit/update or will mess something up.

So if I'm not willing to put all channels in my account, the only option is for client to give me their email and password for their developer account?  How has Roku not thought of this. iTunes,Play,Amazon all have this functionality and they were around before Roku right?
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

I asked this recently in an email to Roku and they confirmed that what you said is the right way to do it.   Your client should have their own account in order to click through all the legal agreements for Developer, Billing.  Then if you want to assist in the channel creation you need to log in with their credentials to their developer account.
0 Kudos
rynop
Visitor

How can this be OK from a legal / liability perspective? Seems like Roku would be at least partly liable for problems due to negligence.

We are running this by our lawyers - I'll post back here what they say to help others who run into this situation
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"rynop" wrote:
How can this be OK from a legal / liability perspective? Seems like Roku would be at least partly liable for problems due to negligence.
We are running this by our lawyers - I'll post back here what they say to help others who run into this situation

The proper, legalistic way of doing it is probably you handing signed bundle - with unique for that client key - "their key", that they may want to use for other app (for reasons of shareing registry data between apps). And it's their responsibility to upload the bundle, add app description and snapshots etc. It is not as complicated as producing the bundle.

Now, i imagine they could also ask you to do the upload and review submittal for them: by them temporarily changing the password so you can access their account remotely for full service - and later revoking access. Or imaginary, your rep to do it supervised in person on their hardware. I understand you don't like it - but in a way it's like trusting a handyman or housekeeper to work in your house in your absence. Or supervise them. Does not require to let them keep a house key though
0 Kudos