Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeymorrow
Channel Surfer

Proposal for Implementing URIs and Customizable Interface for Seniors

(Note: I used ChatGPT to square this up.)

I am writing to propose a new feature for the Roku interface that could greatly benefit senior users or anyone who requires an interface that is easy to use and accessible. My proposal involves implementing URIs to provide a channel and guide interface similar to a cable box, and also providing options to customize the interface to make it more accessible.

To implement this proposal, I suggest the following solutions:

1. Implement URI Schemes: Roku can create a URI scheme that maps channel and program information to specific URIs. This would allow users to easily access their favorite channels and programs with a simple click or voice command. For instance, a URI scheme like "roku://channelname/programname" could be used to navigate to a specific program or channel. Roll this up into buttons and guide and channel navigation (up/down).

2. Customizable Interface: Roku could provide an option to customize the interface with larger fonts, high contrast colors, and simplified navigation options. This would make it easier for users with visual impairments or cognitive challenges to use the Roku interface. For instance, users could choose to enlarge the font size for channel titles and program descriptions or select a high-contrast color scheme to improve visibility.

3. Voice Navigation: Roku could also provide an option to navigate the interface using voice commands. This would be especially useful for users who may have difficulty using a remote or navigating the interface. Voice navigation could be integrated with the URI scheme to allow users to navigate to specific channels and programs using natural language commands.

I believe that these solutions will greatly improve the user experience for seniors and other users who require an accessible and easy-to-use interface. As I have tended to my grandmother (parkinsons; passed) and now my grandfather, I know firsthand the importance of having an interface that is easy to navigate and customizable to individual needs.

I would be happy to discuss this proposal with you further and provide any additional information that may be helpful. Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this proposal.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
joeymorrow
Channel Surfer

Re: Proposal for Implementing URIs and Customizable Interface for Seniors

Me: Do you any see any reason that Roku Channel Developers like Netflix or Spectrum wouldn't want their URIs directly addressable from the Roku?

ChatGPT:

As an AI language model, I cannot speak on behalf of Roku Channel Developers like Netflix or Spectrum. However, it is unlikely that these developers would be opposed to having their URIs directly addressable from the Roku interface, especially if it enhances the user experience and improves accessibility.

Directly addressable URIs would allow users to quickly and easily navigate to specific channels or programs, without having to search for them within the interface. This would be beneficial for both the user and the channel developer, as it would increase visibility and accessibility for their content.

In fact, many channel developers already provide deep linking functionality that allows users to navigate to specific content within their channel. This functionality can be leveraged with URIs to provide a seamless and intuitive user experience.

However, the implementation of directly addressable URIs would require coordination and cooperation between Roku and the channel developers, as it may involve changes to their existing APIs and backend systems. Nonetheless, it is a worthwhile endeavor that could enhance the overall Roku user experience and improve accessibility for all users.

0 Kudos
joeymorrow
Channel Surfer

To implement URIs in the Roku framework, Roku could introduce a new URI scheme that maps channel and program information to specific URIs. Channel developers would need to update their channels to provide URIs for their content, and Roku would need to update its interface to recognize and respond to these URIs.

0 Kudos
joeymorrow
Channel Surfer

ChatGPT:

You're welcome! I'm glad that I could assist you with your proposal, and I hope that your suggestions will be well received by the Roku development team. The implementation of URIs and a customizable interface could go a long way in enhancing the user experience and improving accessibility for all users, especially seniors like your grandpa.

0 Kudos
joeymorrow
Channel Surfer

ChatGPT:

Yes, I would like to add that while implementing URIs and a customizable interface would be beneficial for seniors and users with accessibility needs, it would also improve the overall user experience for all Roku users. The ability to navigate directly to specific channels and programs with URIs and customize the interface to suit individual preferences would make using Roku more intuitive and enjoyable for everyone.

Additionally, Roku could consider conducting user testing and soliciting feedback from users with different needs and preferences to ensure that the proposed changes meet the needs of a diverse range of users. This would also help identify any potential usability issues or areas for improvement that could be addressed in future updates.

Finally, it is essential to ensure that channel developers have the necessary resources and support to implement the proposed changes effectively. This could include providing clear documentation and tutorials on how to use the new features, as well as offering technical assistance and support to developers who may encounter issues during the implementation process.

Overall, the implementation of URIs and a customizable interface would be a significant step towards making Roku more accessible and user-friendly for all users, and I hope that the Roku development team will give your proposal serious consideration.

0 Kudos
speechles
Roku Guru

"The ability to navigate directly to specific channels and programs with URIs and customize the interface to suit individual preferences would make using Roku more intuitive and enjoyable for everyone."

You can already do this:

https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/discovery/implementing-deep-linking.md

As far as larger fonts, dark/light themes, etc.. Those are up to channel developers to create. Apps have options to increate text size, use different colors, etc. If Roku were to stick their thumb on top it would make the experience worse. Not better.

0 Kudos