Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lingpanda
Visitor

Proper Etiquette / Manifest File

Can some one elaborate on the proper usage and etiquette concerning the following in the Manifest file.

major_version=1
minor_version=0
build_version=00004

I understand the major and minor but not the build_version. Aldo should the major and minor always be a whole number(example 4,6,7) or 1.2, 1.3 etc. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Trevor
Visitor

Re: Proper Etiquette / Manifest File

As far as I understand it if your version number is 1.3 the major version is the 1 and the minor version is the 3. The build provides versioning beyond that, say in version 1.3 you're making changes to add a new feature. But you must make changes and test those changes and make more changes to implement your new feature, you wouldn't want to keep moving your minor version up for every change, that version stands for the new feature and not all the testing and changing you're doing to implement that new feature. So you can version those changes with a build version.
*** Trevor Anderson - bloggingwordpress.com - moviemavericks.com ***
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If you are uploading a private or public channel - unless this has been changed - your uploaded package will not be pushed out to users unless you increment the major and/or minor version - the buildversion doesn't appear to make a difference with the channel server. Also, there appears to be a limit of 20 revisions for the minor build number, so we were unable to have a channel uploaded as 1.21 (if you are using 0-20 for the minor build number, it included 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5/1.6/1.7/1.8/1.9/1.10/1.11/1.12/1.13/1.14/1.15/1.16/1.17/1.18/1.19/1.20) - it had to be 2.0. I'd like to know if this is accurate or could be changed?
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
If you are uploading a private or public channel - unless this has been changed - your uploaded package will not be pushed out to users unless you increment the major and/or minor version - the buildversion doesn't appear to make a difference with the channel server. Also, there appears to be a limit of 20 revisions for the minor build number, so we were unable to have a channel uploaded as 1.21 (if you are using 0-20 for the minor build number, it included 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5/1.6/1.7/1.8/1.9/1.10/1.11/1.12/1.13/1.14/1.15/1.16/1.17/1.18/1.19/1.20) - it had to be 2.0. I'd like to know if this is accurate or could be changed?

I don't think that is correct regarding the build number. I just updated a private channel to fix a bug in the 1.1 release where time zones were incorrectly handled. I kept the major_version and minor_version numbers the same and just changed the build_version from 01 to 02. Within a day, all users were using the 1.1/02 version.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"belltown" wrote:
"destruk" wrote:

I don't think that is correct regarding the build number. I just updated a private channel to fix a bug in the 1.1 release where time zones were incorrectly handled. I kept the major_version and minor_version numbers the same and just changed the build_version from 01 to 02. Within a day, all users were using the 1.1/02 version.

Same experience here. For bug fixes, I usually only update the build number, and don't recall ever having any issue with it rolling out to the end users.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
lingpanda
Visitor

"Trevor" wrote:
As far as I understand it if your version number is 1.3 the major version is the 1 and the minor version is the 3. The build provides versioning beyond that, say in version 1.3 you're making changes to add a new feature. But you must make changes and test those changes and make more changes to implement your new feature, you wouldn't want to keep moving your minor version up for every change, that version stands for the new feature and not all the testing and changing you're doing to implement that new feature. So you can version those changes with a build version.

Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I needed to know.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I think there may be some rokus out there with bad flash ram, bad firmware then, as four of our 'guys' always have weird issues that nobody can reproduce.
0 Kudos