Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Private channel doesn't run after install

I've genkey'd, generated and downloaded the pkg, and created a private channel.
I removed the development version from my DVP (didn't want any conflicts there).
Went to my account on roku.com, and added the private channel to my box.
Went into the Channel Store/My Channels.
There it is. 😄
Selected Go to channel. A couple of screen flashes then back to the Roku main menu. :?

The app works fine in developer mode.
Suggestions?

Thanks
D.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Private channel doesn't run after install

This doesn't have anything with you trying to detect developer's mode vs. published mode, does it? Maybe you're reading something from the registry that's returning an invalid?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

It shouldn't be, no.
I took an entirely different approach for the dev/prod determination.

Maybe I'll add a log to server capability and update it.

Really wish this thing had exception handling 😞
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

If you have any configuration stored in the registry, it could be an error that's not surfaced unless those values aren't there. Maybe change the RegistrySection temporarily in your dev version to see if it blows up if it can't find the values.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Hmmm.

I was my understanding that a private channel didn't have any access to the dev app's registry.
Is that not the case?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"vaxace" wrote:
Hmmm.

I was my understanding that a private channel didn't have any access to the dev app's registry.
Is that not the case?

No.. I mean change your dev version to look in the wrong location in the registry to see if it blows up, too. Just in case that's the issue.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"vaxace" wrote:

Really wish this thing had exception handling 😞

You can always roll your own, Perl style. That is, use eval to run chunks of code and check for errors afterwards. It's not quite the same, you won't be able to throw specific errors, but you will be able to catch code problems and report their general location. Unfortunately, there aren't two sets of quotes or a heredoc facility, so dealing with strings would be a pain.

P.S.
Don't laugh. I know it's kind of ridiculous. 🙂

P.P.S.
Perl's version of this is a real exception mechanism in that you can hand it a code block, and you can die with arbitrary data, allowing the equivalent of actual exception throws.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Go to Channel from the Channel Store doesn't work properly for private channels added by code. Do you see the channel on the home screen? Does it launch from there?
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Yep.
Doesn't launch from there either.
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Update:

Ok. Never did figure out what was going on.
Since then I have completely re-written the app with frequent tests as a private channel.

Works great now.

Thanks for the input.

D.
0 Kudos