Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Poster screen images not loading from web

Even if your server is Linux, case would matter for the url.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
Even if your server is Linux, case would matter for the url.

His point was that typically, with Windows web servers (particularly IIS), case doesn't matter with the URL like it does with most linux based servers. If he's using IIS, I wouldn't have expected it to be an issue either, but I'm glad he got it fixed!
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Agreed. 🙂 Just in time for the holidays too.
Here's a thought gang - if your windows server had a "URL Rewriter" running on it, then you could have the server redirect to a lower case page so case wouldn't make a difference for any request.
Just trying to add something useful to the existing thread he might not know about.
http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/url-rewrite

If you're not running IIS, then there are other tools that do the same job.
0 Kudos
calvaryftl
Visitor

I don't think the case sensitivity has anything to do with the server in this case. The docs for JSON parsing in brightscript say that the roAssociativeArray that is returned is case sensitive. I think that means that if I am calling a path with /hd/, but the server path is /HD/ (as in my case), the fact that they are not an exact match including case sensitivity, is causing it to fail within the Roku itself. That's the only thing that makes sense. I am on IIS, and I know that case does not matter on the server.

At any rate, it's working. Another mystery has been solved, and as destruk said - just in time for the holidays! Nothing worse than a buggy holiday. LOL

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year to all!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"calvaryftl" wrote:
I don't think the case sensitivity has anything to do with the server in this case. The docs for JSON parsing in brightscript say that the roAssociativeArray that is returned is case sensitive. I think that means that if I am calling a path with /hd/, but the server path is /HD/ (as in my case), the fact that they are not an exact match including case sensitivity, is causing it to fail within the Roku itself. That's the only thing that makes sense. I am on IIS, and I know that case does not matter on the server.

At any rate, it's working. Another mystery has been solved, and as destruk said - just in time for the holidays! Nothing worse than a buggy holiday. LOL

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year to all!

Case sensitivity from a URL perspective would be entirely up to the server to interpret and process. The Roku has no way of knowing if the case is correct, so it wouldn't have any way to know to block an incorrectly cased URL, unless the server rejected it.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
calvaryftl
Visitor

Well, all I know is that my server is not case sensitive, but the parseJson function specs specify:

Any roAssociativeArray objects in the returned objects will be case sensitive.

It seems to me that somehow, the case sensitivity must be in the code.

But it's not worth debating. 🙂 Just a possible gotcha to look out for.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"calvaryftl" wrote:
Well, all I know is that my server is not case sensitive, but the parseJson function specs specify:

Any roAssociativeArray objects in the returned objects will be case sensitive.

It seems to me that somehow, the case sensitivity must be in the code.

But it's not worth debating. 🙂 Just a possible gotcha to look out for.

That statement is referring to the object's keys, not the values (values always retain case). So, if your JSON object had two keys, one named "test" and a second named "TEST", they'd be treated as two separate properties, unlike standard BrightScript which would treat them as the same key.

My guess would be that you either had a minor typo or an extra character (maybe whitespace) in the URL that you corrected inadvertently when you re-cased it. Important part is that you got it working, so you're right, not worth debating.
0 Kudos
calvaryftl
Visitor

Cool. Thanks for clarifying that. Good info.

I'm curious - do you do custom dev work? I need to build an audio player for our app and have no idea how. I want to find out what it would cost to have someone build a player that I can just add to my project...

Kenny
0 Kudos