Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to create "overlay" apps?

Is it possible to create overlay apps? Like an independent app that can overlay another app. I see this being useful for like reminders, ads, ecommerce etc, so people can interact with that app directly when watching content.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Possible to create "overlay" apps?

No...
0 Kudos

Are you sure?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

One roku can run one app.  So to run two apps you either need to use two rokus, or you need to get the channel code of what you want to overlay and merge it into your existing main app to display on top of it's regular screens.  So yes.  I am sure.  Nobody has NetFlix with a Twitter app running on top of it.
I suppose another option would be to use two rokus and try to use Picture-in-picture on your TV to display HDMI port2 in the corner while HDMI1 is using the rest of the screen?  But that's not your question - your question was can you run two apps at the same time on the same single Roku, and no, you can't.
0 Kudos

Ok I see. 

"you need to get the channel code of what you want to overlay and merge it into your existing main app to display on top of it's regular screens"

If I write a standalone overlay app is there an easy way to merge this overlay app with another "main" app (like call it within that app)? For example users will install the overlay app, then other apps that integrates the overlay app (not sure how) will have the option of opening the overlay.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Short answer, no, sorry. Basically you would have to work directly with other channel authors and convince them to update their channels with a bunch of new code, and each case would be unique and a lot of work and testing and no one is going to do that. But you're free to try.
0 Kudos
acreskey
Visitor

You can create a sceensaver application.
0 Kudos

"Komag" wrote:
Short answer, no, sorry. Basically you would have to work directly with other channel authors and convince them to update their channels with a bunch of new code, and each case would be unique and a lot of work and testing and no one is going to do that. But you're free to try.

"acreskey" wrote:
You can create a sceensaver application.

A screensaver would stop working when the user interacts with it though.
But if a screensaver works can we assume that Roku probably has the ability to run two apps at the same time?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"BestDeveloper" wrote:

But if a screensaver works can we assume that Roku probably has the ability to run two apps at the same time?

No. Again. 
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos