Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor

Please Help with Newbie Questions

Dear Forum,

Sorry for being a newbie to all this, but my wife and I love our Roku and being able to disconnect DirectTV and Comcast. I've read that it's supposed to be fairly simple to develop a Roku channel, so I have two questions about this:

1. Is there a page or site that would give instructions on how to get started?
2. There's a great website: http://www.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/index.html that features a 24/7 running stream. Is there a way to make this a private channel or are there any first steps anybody could recommend toward learning how to make this a channel?

Thanks for everybody's time in advance.

Happy Holidays and New Year's.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
YungBlood
Streaming Star

Re: Please Help with Newbie Questions

To answer the first question, download the sdk and look at the examples. Especially look at the simple video player example.

I don't have the answer to the second question. It depends on if the video is offered in a format that is compatible with Roku. I haven't done video yet, so I don't have any experience with it.
YungBlood

Bringing more fun to Roku!
0 Kudos
alwinlee
Visitor

Yunblood,

Can you give me simple example how you built your first channel with sample video example? Exactly how you install that on the server and changes you made?
0 Kudos
DerekHelps
Visitor

"alwinlee" wrote:
Yunblood,

Can you give me simple example how you built your first channel with sample video example? Exactly how you install that on the server and changes you made?

While Im not Yungblood, you can find the simple video player example, the SDK, other helpful resources by signing up to a developer account atL:
http://www.roku.com/developer
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
0 Kudos
jseigle85
Visitor

I see that the stream from the website you posted is a live stream. Roku only support HLS for live stream. If it is a play on demand file you have to worry about encoding. There is a way to stream your content To the Roku Player from the website. I am working on a project in hopes to develop a relation ship with Roku. The project will be launched on Friday. Which will allow you to see Video tutorials how to create applications, software where that design application, and live content transcoding. This will handle all of your problems. Live Content transcoding will allow you to take a live feed from any source and convert it to the format and encode it the way it needs to be to play on Roku Players. If you are interested Email me at jseigle85@gmail.com and once the website launch on Friday I will reply back to your email with a link to the website.
0 Kudos