Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockstar1
Visitor

PayPal integration for e-commerce app on Roku

Hi, I want to build an e-commerce application on Roku, for that we need to implement purchase of product. So, far we found https://sdkdocs.roku.com/pages/viewpage ... Id=3736148. I have few questions to ask if you can help,

1. Can we use the Video on demand flow for our product purchase flow?
2. Is there any other option available to support product purchase like we do in any other e-commerce site?
3. Can we use PayPal Sandbox to test purchase in Roku?

We would be highly glad if you can provide us these details asap. Looking for you help and support.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
rockstar1
Visitor

Re: PayPal integration for e-commerce app on Roku

It would be highly grateful if anyone can help me out on the same. I am trying to integrate payment method in my e-commerce app.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Beginning of this year, RokuCo requires you to use their own billing, see viewtopic.php?f=28&t=95699#p535279 for my understanding. Meaning if you bill, you should integrate Roku's payment method. You may be able to use PayPal too, as additional option.

Yes, there is way to do sandbox testing via test users. Fair warning: the whole shebang is rather quirky - but usable with enough effort. See bunch of my posts here from last couple of weeks while i suffered through it.
0 Kudos
rockstar1
Visitor

Thanks a lot EnTerr for your reply. My main concern is that what if I implement the customized payment method using roImageCanvas where I ask for user CC details or PayPal details without actually using Roku Billing Api, is such approach is acceptable by Roku, Will it accept or reject my channel after submission to store?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I cannot speak for RokuCo - but i pointed you out reading pt. 4.1 of the COMMERCIAL TERMS EXHIBIT at https://docs.roku.com/doc/developerdistribution/en-us

For more, elicit an answer from somebody whose name starts with "Roku"
0 Kudos
rockstar1
Visitor

Thanks for your reply. I expect any Roku admin member to please reply on this thread. Its very urgent. I have also posted mail on developer@roku.com , but haven't received any response yet.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"rockstar1" wrote:
Hi, I want to build an e-commerce application on Roku, for that we need to implement purchase of product. So, far we found https://sdkdocs.roku.com/pages/viewpage ... Id=3736148. I have few questions to ask if you can help,

"rockstar1" wrote:
1. Can we use the Video on demand flow for our product purchase flow?

not sure what you mean here - there is nothing referenced in the URL you linked above that refers to a VOD flow. Ideally go for the simplest flow - user clicks on content and there is a "Rent for $n" or "Purchase for $n" button, they click the button and the firmware purchase screen is launched. (you might call getPartialUserData first if they haven't shared their info yet), the user pays and the user is presented with a details screen with a Play button.

"rockstar1" wrote:
2. Is there any other option available to support product purchase like we do in any other e-commerce site?

That is too vague a question to answer, can you be more specific?

"rockstar1" wrote:
3. Can we use PayPal Sandbox to test purchase in Roku?

No, we require you to use our billing system. It does pay you via Paypal, after a we collect our 20% revenue share from the payment, but that is our own back end processing company interacting with PayPal. Paypal does not take a share of your revenue.

- Joel
0 Kudos
rockstar1
Visitor

Hi Joel, Thanks for replying. You cleared few of my queries, but still there is a confusion regarding payment. The actual use case we trying to integrate is that what if I implement the customized payment method using roImageCanvas where I ask for user CC details or PayPal details without actually using Roku Billing Api, is such approach is acceptable by Roku, Will it accept or reject my channel after submission to store?

Please help us out, seeking your reply.
0 Kudos