Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Paused HLS Live Stream Resumes Without Interaction

I have a "bug" with Live HLS content.
If I pause the stream, it will resume automatically after ~5 minutes. 
If I click pause again, it will not pause the stream.
If I restart the stream (return to live), I can again pause for ~5 minutes before it resumes by itself.

I assume this is the expected behavior with a 5 min sliding window. But I am told this behavior is unacceptable, and video should not resume until a user clicks PLAY. 
What is the expected behavior with a live stream?

This is happening on 7.7 and 8.0 firmware across devices (old stick, 3, 4, premiere+)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Paused HLS Live Stream Resumes Without Interaction

To be honest, that's what I would expect to happen. Once the box's RAM fills up it pretty much has to either start playing or start throwing away new segments. Most live streams I've analyzed only save a small number of segments on the server and only list a small number of segments in the playlist, so in general a player can't pause a live stream forever.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Yeah I can watch the segments stop downloading in Charles and then the stream resumes. I am now faced with trying to explain this to people who don't want to hear it.  Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Still not convinced this is the expected behavior. iOS will remain paused indefinitely, then resume at the live point if the DVR window has passed.
0 Kudos
Tyler_Smith
Binge Watcher

We've been noticing this for some time in our apps.
Tyler Smith
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

FTI, I got a response from Roku. This is, in fact, the intended behavior. When your paused time reaches the limit of the DVR window, the stream will resume.
0 Kudos
nathanjosiah
Visitor

I would say that regardless of whether it should begin playing automatically, I should be able to pause it again once it does. Currently, as mentioned above, pause is broken if the video auto-resumes.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You can't pause it again because once it auto-resumes the memory (DVR window) is full. It can't empty at all because as it's playing it's still filling, thus remaining full. If you fast-forward a bit (therefore freeing up some memory), can you then pause after it has auto-resumed?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Yes, you can pause again once you fast forward ahead of the end of the window.
0 Kudos
nathanjosiah
Visitor

This behavior is very strange. I haven't seen this behavior in any other live player we've used. That includes JWPlayer, OSMF, ThePlatform's player, BitMovin, Wowza, Strobe Media Player, and AppleTV. This is true for both DVR and non-DVR streams.

Our users (and myself) see this as a bug. The behavior in all of the other players is to only buffer a certain amount when paused, and when resumed, start at the earliest available buffered live content OR at the live playhead if paused for too long.
0 Kudos