Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lightcatcher
Visitor

Newb Frustrations

We signed on with a third-party to develop our channel and have been working with them for over a month. However, "working with" is not very accurate--it's more like waiting for them to get back to us. I won't name the company but I'm wondering if our experience is normal for others using a third-party and would like some feed back. Our main frustration stems from the fact that, even though we are experienced in producing video content and fully understand the various codes and bitrates, etc., we don't understand any of the process of building a channel.

The only reason that I'm posting this on the forum is because the company is recommended with other similar companies as a third-party for hire on this very forum. The company acts as if we are supposed to possess full command of writing codes, script and other tools---we don't. That's the very reason we hired them. Honestly, we feel as if we're dealing with computer geeks in the Balkans or the former Soviet Republic---support questions are never answered by the same person,there is no phone number to contact for a warm body. It's just weird.

Is it normal to wait 12 to 24 hours for videos or metadata to be "propagated"?
Our channel has been ready to go public for two weeks but has yet to show up on Roku,is that normal?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Newb Frustrations

As a third-party developer myself, I certainly hope what you're experiencing would not be considered "normal". There is nothing inherent to the Roku development platform that would justify poor communication.

"Lightcatcher" wrote:
because the company is recommended with other similar companies as a third-party for hire on this very forum

You should be aware that the post you're referring to (assuming it's this one: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31664) is not a list of recommended third party developers. It's just a list of developers that have asked to be included in the list as being "for hire". I'm pretty sure anyone can ask to be included.

"Lightcatcher" wrote:
Is it normal to wait 12 to 24 hours for videos or metadata to be "propagated"?

Without knowing the details of the backend server bits/CDN for your channel, that's not really possible for anyone but your developer to answer, I'm afraid.

"Lightcatcher" wrote:
Our channel has been ready to go public for two weeks but has yet to show up on Roku,is that normal?

While two weeks without being released to the channel store isn't completely unheard of, two weeks without any updates or followup on the status from your developer does seem a bit excessive.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If you are requiring your own server for registration, or content storage, then the propagation delay could be 12-24 hours for the site to get to all the DNS servers...
Other issues you mention aren't typical of most channel developers. I think you can contact one of the moderators here to see if the channel has been submitted for review - if it is going to be a public channel.
0 Kudos
Lightcatcher
Visitor

Destruk,
Thanks very much for the info.
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

"Lightcatcher" wrote:
We signed on with a third-party to develop our channel and have been working with them for over a month. However, "working with" is not very accurate--it's more like waiting for them to get back to us. I won't name the company but I'm wondering if our experience is normal for others using a third-party and would like some feed back. Our main frustration stems from the fact that, even though we are experienced in producing video content and fully understand the various codes and bitrates, etc., we don't understand any of the process of building a channel.

The only reason that I'm posting this on the forum is because the company is recommended with other similar companies as a third-party for hire on this very forum. The company acts as if we are supposed to possess full command of writing codes, script and other tools---we don't. That's the very reason we hired them. Honestly, we feel as if we're dealing with computer geeks in the Balkans or the former Soviet Republic---support questions are never answered by the same person,there is no phone number to contact for a warm body. It's just weird.

I'll say up front that this isn't us 🙂

However, I don't think that any of the developers are big "mature" companies. They may have just taken on more than they can handle. Some handle it better than others. Treat it like you think it should be treated, let them know that's you're not satisfied with the answers you are getting and demand more communication. If you are not getting any decent communication now, you'll get even less later.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Depending on which dev you chose, you may **actually** be dealing with eastern Europe!
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
Lightcatcher
Visitor

No, it's definitely not you. Thanks everyone for your responses.
0 Kudos