Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NanoZim
Visitor

Re: New word puzzle game - beta test?

"kbenson" wrote:
If you download the banner image to tmp:/ and use from there, you shouldn't have to deal with any of the caching problems. Then again, with all the talk about the Roku caching images, did anyone try setting last-modified headers to see if the Roku honored them?

Ah, I'll have to look into this. I'm still kind of a newbie at BrightScript...
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"NanoZim" wrote:
"kbenson" wrote:
If you download the banner image to tmp:/ and use from there, you shouldn't have to deal with any of the caching problems. Then again, with all the talk about the Roku caching images, did anyone try setting last-modified headers to see if the Roku honored them?

No need to download to tmp:/. Just add a random number querystring to the end of the URL so it always loads from the server (ex. http://my.url/images/myimage.jpg?uid=<random>).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"NanoZim" wrote:
"kbenson" wrote:

No need to download to tmp:/. Just add a random number querystring to the end of the URL so it always loads from the server (ex. http://my.url/images/myimage.jpg?uid=<random>).

Geez, I've only seen this discussed 4 or 5 times now. You would think I would remember that by now. 😉
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
YungBlood
Streaming Star

No!!! Not more game competition... 🙂

Nice look btw 🙂 I haven't tried the game yet... but I will. 🙂 I had actually contemplated doing a mastermind game. 🙂

"kbenson" wrote:
Geez, I've only seen this discussed 4 or 5 times now. You would think I would remember that by now. 😉

Don't feel too bad, I still haven't dealt with that issue on mine... 🙂
-YB
YungBlood

Bringing more fun to Roku!
0 Kudos
pjoshua5000
Visitor

Question: About the pegs.

I think you should have any option for matching the peg with the correct slot.

Ex. Let say the word was: LUCK. And you choose the these letters: KITE. Since Letter K is not in the right Slot, then you should put a peg in the 4th slot telling you that K the letter is correct but in in the wrong slot. You can use the WHITE peg to tell you the letter is incorrect.

EX. IF the Word DYED, and chose the letters DUCK. The Colors would be as followed: BLUE, WHITE, WHITE, YELLOW (Or GREEN for duplicate letter). (but not telling you which letter is a duplicate. However if you have only one BLUE Peg, then you could assume that the duplicate letter is the same as the BLUE PEG.

Maybe an Option for using only Nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs. Or combination or those types of words.

Other options that will allow different settings for super easy all the way to supper hard: including timers (no timers) Even using numbers. Which does not have to be limited to 1-9. You can also use from 00-99 for each tile. [03], [23]. [45]. [00]. Or option to limit it to 00-50, or 00-26, or any number start number or end number. Or random letters.

Option to turn off or on duplicated numbers or letters.

Also. I suggest adding a "U" to the letter "Q" so when you click on the letter "Q" it would act as if it had a "U" after it, and at the same time just just a "Q" if you happen to have any words that just have a "Q" in it.

For ex: [QU], , . or [QU], , , , but you could also allow , , . , or , , ,

Hope this helps
-josh
0 Kudos
NanoZim
Visitor

"pjoshua5000" wrote:
options that will allow different settings for super easy all the way to supper hard

You know, it never occurred to me to include a choice of difficulty levels. :oops: When setting the difficulty, I used myself as a guide; I created something that would give me a challenge while still letting me win more often than not. But clearly, having an easier setting would make this more accessible to a wider range of people (maybe even including a really easy version for kids).

Anyway, good idea! It probably won't make it into the first official release, but I may include levels in a later release.

Oh, and mentioning "kids" reminds me: while this game features almost 2000 common four-letter words, the big guns are missing (the "F","S", "C" words, etc). Just in case anyone was wondering...it should pretty much be kid safe. 🙂
0 Kudos
pjoshua5000
Visitor

If any one want a list of 4-letter words. Here is a site.

But no guarantees that every word that is in this game is on that list.

"NanoZim" wrote:
Oh, and mentioning "kids" reminds me: while this game features almost 2000 common four-letter words, the big guns are missing (the "F","S", "C" words, etc). Just in case anyone was wondering...it should pretty much be kid safe. 🙂
0 Kudos
NanoZim
Visitor

Okay, I finished implementing a series of changes:

1. Instructions are accessible by pressing the fast-forward button in-game. This is noted at the top of the screen, directly beneath the "Hogoword" title.

2. The ad banner no longer shows questionable content. 😉

3. When the ad banner's graphic changes, it will immediately update the next time the game is launched, instead of only after a box reboot (thanks TheEndless, kbenson).

4. Slight tweak to the background graphic.

The new version has been submitted to the Channel Store. Thanks to everyone who helped refine it! If new issues are found, please don't hesitate to ping me.
0 Kudos
WardFamily
Visitor

There needs to be a clue. Other than that GREAT game. Another game suggestion: Sweetthooth
Thanks!!!
http://lindenalabama.net
0 Kudos
pjoshua5000
Visitor

"WardFamily" wrote:
There needs to be a clue. Other than that GREAT game. Another game suggestion: Sweetthooth
Thanks!!!

Want a clue. Here is what helps me win most of the time:

Start with common groups of letters.

AUGH

IUST

CHYO
0 Kudos