Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elliott
Visitor

New to Roku

Hello all. I realize I am very new. I have been reading the post but cannot find an answer to my questions.

I have been trying to create a channel on Roku. I am not a programmer, but usually am a quick study. I have been packaging the example from the downloads (ted talks) from the videoplayer zip. Works fine.

I try to replace the info in the example with my content, but I can't seem to get it right. Can someone help me figure out how to change the examples into a working set of codes that I can package and upload so I can get my channel on Roku? I really appreciate the help. It is frustrating me that after all this time I still can't work it out.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Jason_Kyle
Visitor

Re: New to Roku

I am also new to Roku and trying to determine how to get this working too. If you do figure it out, please let me know.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

When you're brand new to the Roku, the best place to start is with the Readme and Developer Guide. You will get a grounding in the Roku development process and pointers to learn more about BrightScript from the BrightScript Reference. Then you can start reviewing the example source code with the component reference in hand. As you modify the XML parser of the video player, keep the Brightscript Reference open to Section 4.5 and test your parser code expressions in the BrightScript debugger or make good use of print statements depending on your programming style....

Welcome to Roku Development and Good Luck!

--Kevin
0 Kudos
elliott
Visitor

Hello Kevin, thank you for a reply. Looks like a lot of people are reading the post, but no one wants to respond.

I have read the developer guide. Several times. I read the other stuff, but the brightscript reference is still looking like greek to me. What I am trying to do is figure out the example that makes the ted talks video work so I can replace te code with my own. I open the example codes and read them, but can't tell which ones I am supposed to modify and where.

I upload the videoplayer example zip and it works fine on my provate channel. Where do I relace those videos (links) with my own? Where are the links to replace them? I see the xml folder and the links in there, but the read me file says I am not supposed to upload that file. However, I don't see any places in the other files that has the same information as in the xml files.

Need to wrap my head around this. Can you point out where in the scripts provided in the example files I am to direct the app to my videos instead of Ted's?
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

If you look in categoryFeed.brs, you'll see that the code is actually pointing to a feed on the roku website:
http://rokudev.roku.com/rokudev/example ... gories.xml

If you download the xml files that the sample code points to, you can follow along with the code. You could modify those xml files, post them on your server, and modify the brightscript parsers in the sample code to match. As you go through this exercise, you'll find that the categories.xml points to other xml files that you can recursively download and match to the parsing code in the example.

Along the way you'll have to pick up at least "conversational" level BrightScript... it is very similar to VB or JavaScript, so it shouldn't be too big of a stretch if you have any kind of programming background.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
elliott
Visitor

Thank you so much Kevin. That is what I was looking for. I will start working on this right away.
0 Kudos
sbloom85
Visitor

Would it be possible to mock up code using Visual Studio Express?
0 Kudos