Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbenson
Visitor

Re: New channel version notification?

"EnTerr" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
That was not my argument at all. In fact, my argument was just the opposite. In-channel notification work fine for channels the user already has installed. You actually, inadvertently, touched on exactly why this is useful with the current system. With limited resources, user's are fairly regularly required to trim down the number of channels they have installed. Often times, a channel may be cut because it's not quite useful enough, yet. With a recently updated list in the channel store, I could quickly and easily identify when one of those channels that didn't quite make the cut has been updated, and may actually be worthy of a spot in my channel lineup again. There is much more utility in such a feature for the end user than for the developer.

Interesting but this contradicts what kbenson has in mind (see his reply).

What you think I'm looking for and what I've proposed seem to be entirely different things, in my mind.

I first proposed just some sort of visual indication a channel had updated. I was envisioning a small corner overlay over the channels graphic on the main screen that said "updated!" or something, that could go away after a few days or after the channel was visited a few times. Not flashy, not blinking text to annoy anyone, just a simple indication that channel had been updated.

TheEndless came back with the idea to have a new row in the channel store, like the existing row for new channels, but for channels that have updated recently. This seemed like an easy compromise. I still think some small indicator over a channel graphic on the home screen to indicate it was updated recently would be perfectly acceptable (and actually desired) to most users. I also think if anything is going to happen the channel store idea is the easiest to accomplish and deal with it for all involved.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:

That will weird me out. I mean, from usability point of view, same things reordered on the same screen, eeeeh...

Err, isn't it already like that? There's a lot of duplication per row in the channel store, at least the last time I looked.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
Ah, I see your point. But wouldn't that lead to two lineups of "My Channels" next to each other (it won't be any better if they are away from each other):
- one in the order the viewer likes them (the one currently presented, which they can re-order manually to taste)
- and one in the order we developers (or at least kbenson) want him/her too see them, by last update timestamp

That will weird me out. I mean, from usability point of view, same things reordered on the same screen, eeeeh...

No need for two rows, just a sort order selection on the Options (* button) menu.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos